[gothic-l] The Gothic Path to Rome

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Fri Apr 13 07:31:34 UTC 2001

On 18 Mar 2001, at 9:06, Bertil Häggman wrote:

> Dear listmembers,
>
> Thought maybe it would be of interest to further elaborate
> on the Gothic wars that eventually led to power in Italy.
>
> I will start with the First Gothic War and then continue
> providing some basic facts hoping for additional debate
> on the Gothic Path to Rome.
>
> First Gothic War 213-214 AD
>
> Emperor Caracalla defeats the Ostrogoths, who were
> allied to the Chatti, the Alamans, the Marcomans and
> the Quadi. But Caracalla has to conclude a swift peace
> because Goths and Vandals are making incursions
> into the Roman empire. King Ostrogota conquers
> the northern part of Dacia, that finally is abandoned
> by Rome.
Dear Bertil,
Sorry to answer this so late, but I have a backlog of some older
mails I did not open yet. Your account (and, by the way, you later
installments of the Gothic wars have serious flaws, too) is completely
ahistoric. On which sources do you base this abstruse combination?
Moreover, the first traces of the Cernyakhov culture inside the
Carpathian region are from the first quarter of the fourth century.
Ostrogotha is a myth recorded by Jordanes in the sixth century. No
contemporary source from around 200 AD gives any name of a king
of the Goths.
Regards
            Andreas Schwarcz
ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut fuer oesterreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universitaet Wien
Dr.Karl-Lueger-Ring 1
A 1010 Wien
Oesterreich