[gothic-l] Re: Ostrogothic or Visigothic Music

Friþunanþs Ximeneiks - (F. E. Ximenez) jimenezf at ALPHA.MONTCLAIR.EDU
Mon Apr 30 06:00:55 UTC 2001

Greetings Cory,
     Thanks for your reply to Alberto. You've given me some impetus, and
I've started to rummage for more information.
There is a recent Spanish publication (a facsimile manuscript) of the
Antifonale Silense (which is written in Visigothic neumes).

Antifonale Silense
Publicaciones de la Sociedád Española de Musicología. Seccion F; 2
Notes: With plainsong notation: Visigothic neumes with additions in
Aquitanian notation .

The original was in the monastery of Silos in Spain (900). The facsimile
is published by the Sociedad Española de Musicología, Madrid, 1985. with
an intro by Ismael Fernandez de la Cuesta who was the musicologist that
recorded the cd, "CHANT" - the only classical disc ever to make it to a
top 40 list and to earn either a platinum or gold label (don't
remember).

As for the Liber Ordinum, it is in Monastery of Silos in Spain.

Of interest, one might want to keep tabs on the Hill Monastic Manuscript
Library of St. Johns University in Minnesota, USA. It is an ongoing
effort to film and reproduce in every conceivable format every extant
monastic manuscript available. The Liber Ordinum is slated to be copied
and made available on the net. microfilm orders of the manuscripts will
be possible. I could not find out whether the Antifonale Silense is
forthcomming.

Cheers,
F.X.

  [www.debticated.com]

> You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank
> email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.
> Homepage: http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gothicl/index.html

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Ppl8ZC/TFaCAA/qvCFAA/1rrVlB/TM