[gothic-l] Ostrogotha et al.

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Fri Apr 13 23:05:54 UTC 2001

Andreas wrote:

Ostrogotha is a myth recorded by Jordanes in the sixth century. No
contemporary source from around 200 AD gives any name of a king
of the Goths.

Hello Andreas!

I agree that far. No king is mentioned as king of the Ostrogoths and
also by Jordanes he is not called king but is just said to rule an
explicit area. There are several persons  wearing the name Ostrogotha,
being historical persons, but this alledged king is not proven. If,
however, he should be real, which Hachmann assumes, he definitly must
have been a reiks, not a þiuðans. He appears in the story of Jordanes
handily enough to match the division between the Ostrogoths and the
Vesi-Tervingi and might, if he existed, well have had another name in
reality. The latter are connected by Wolfram  with Cniva, which I also
regard as a reiks, king of the army or part of the army, and not a
þuiðans. Hence they both must be connected with an attempt to explain
the division of the Goths. If this story is reliable is another matter
of course, but I think Hachmann has got some good points.In any case the
Tervingi settled in Dacia around 269.

Kindly
Ingemar