[gothic-l] Ostrogotha et al.

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Sun Apr 15 11:48:49 UTC 2001

Dear Ingemar,
I, too, think that the events around Abrittus and the defeat of
emperor Decius must be ascribed to Cniva. I am not so sure about
the title to give him. Thiudans is a title which Wulfila's bible gives to
the emperor and we have absolutely no inclination what kind of title
Goths gave to their leaders in the third century. For Greek and
Roman historiography they were reges and we must be content with
this. I agree with Wolfram that for Jordanes Ostrogotha was an
eponymous king signifying the division into Greuthungi-Ostrogothi
and Tervingi. As to the time of that division, I would put it after the
victories of Gallienus, Claudius and Aurelianus. After the latest
results of archeology we must take the expansion of the
Czernyakhov culture as guiding line for settlements of Goths, as we
have no reliable historical data, only some indications. The reception
of the Carpi into the empire in 303 AD is such an indication that
things were changing in Dacia. But the latest on the Czeryakhov
culture was a conference organized by Volker Bierbrauer at
Caputh, Germany, in 1996 and the conference papers are now
available in print and may be read. And from those it seems quite
clear that  the expansion of Czernyakhov-Sintana-de-Mures into the
Carpathian basin started massively in the first quarter of the fourth
century.
Kind regards
          Andreas Schwarcz
ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut fuer oesterreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universitaet Wien
Dr.Karl-Lueger-Ring 1
A 1010 Wien
Oesterreich