[gothic-l] Ostrogothic or Visigothic Music

sunburst sunburst at JETSTREAM.NET
Sat Apr 14 16:11:41 UTC 2001

>This is a great site! I need to know though, for the purposes of my web
page,
>and for personal enjoyment, to what degree is the music on those CDs
>authentic (by scholarly standards) and to what degree does it rely on
>inspiration? Even traditions where we have a lot of evidence often require
>much artistry to reconstruct in a recordable form, and I haven't the
foggiest
>idea how much evidence we have in the Germanic world beyond what you've
told
>me so far.

In my older work, the language and poetic form are authentic.  Some of the
songs are in fact poems from ancient times (such as DEOR) and others are
written by myself and others.  As for the music, little survived concerning
original Germanic music.  On these works I have primarily used inspiration,
but trying to follow some parameters of the oldest known medieval tunes.  I
have since discovered much more, including some authentic melodies, but I
did not have those yet in the time of my first three releases.  The main
features on those are the Germanic lyre, the Anglo-Saxon language (Gothic
language on my next) and Germanic Alliterative Verse.

Albareiks