[gothic-l] Ostrogothic or Visigothic Music

hakan36 at SPRAY.SE hakan36 at SPRAY.SE
Tue Apr 17 16:12:36 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "sunburst" <sunburst at j...> wrote:

> >This is a great site! I need to know though, for the purposes of
my web
> page,
> >and for personal enjoyment, to what degree is the music on those
CDs
> >authentic (by scholarly standards) and to what degree does it rely
on
> >inspiration? Even traditions where we have a lot of evidence often
require
> >much artistry to reconstruct in a recordable form, and I haven't
the
> foggiest
> >idea how much evidence we have in the Germanic world beyond what
you've
> told
> >me so far.
>

> In my older work, the language and poetic form are authentic.  Some
of the
> songs are in fact poems from ancient times (such as DEOR) and
others are
> written by myself and others.  As for the music, little survived
concerning
> original Germanic music.  On these works I have primarily used
inspiration,
> but trying to follow some parameters of the oldest known medieval
tunes.  I
> have since discovered much more, including some authentic melodies,
but I
> did not have those yet in the time of my first three releases.  The
main
> features on those are the Germanic lyre, the Anglo-Saxon language
(Gothic
> language on my next) and Germanic Alliterative Verse.
>
> Albareiks

Hails Albareiks, JDM and all!
Those titles and CD-covers seems exciting. Do you know if any of
these songs or any others can be downloaded from the net? I am also
searching for reconstruction of ancient sounds in general. The
tradition in Finland with the ancient Kalevala-songs I also find
interesting. They probably have a relation with samic jojk-tradition.
The tradition have best survived in Karelia. But you can also find
ancient teutonic words in finnish so they haven´t been witout
influences. If it´s possible to order one of your CDs on the net I
might do so. They look very interesting.

I am also thinking of Adam of Bremen who said that when a monk
visited a northern marketplace, the inhabitants sounded like dogs
when singing. Birka or Hedeby? Nobody knows really. But similar songs
sometimes animal-imitating, with head-rhyme, can be found on Iceland
and one exemple on a sväin or gräis-visu "pig-song", is known from
Gotland. On Iceland they are often called rímur"rhymes"and
kedhjur"chains". In Eigil Skallagrimssons saga is mentioned that the
men were singing against the shield and no attack could be made
before the right tone had been found. This rhymes probably have their
roots in the iron-age. Is it possible to presume that the goths had
rhymes and warsongs too?

http://www.cabal.se/silence/cabal_hedningarna/index.html

Greetings from

Håkan Liljeberg

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Ppl8ZC/TFaCAA/qvCFAA/1rrVlB/TM