[gothic-l] Re: small intro

Maureen hessian_18452 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 19 08:45:56 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "M. Carver" <matt at i...> wrote:

> Hails, Carolyn!
>
> We're glad to have you.
>
> If you want to get a head start on Learning, may I suggest David
Salo's
> Gothic Lessons:
> http://www.terracom.net/~dorothea/david/gothic/
>
> Also, you might want to look into getting something like Bennett's
> Introduction to the Gothic Language and/or Wright's Grammar...
>
> Matþaius,
> Gothic-L Administrator

    Greetings, everyone!

    I am a new member of this group and will most likely observe for
a while.  However, I'll commence my Gothic Lessons as soon as
possible. I have a good grasp of history, and inherited some fine
Germanic bloodlines.  Just had one line traced back to Renaissance
Baden (yes, I know - a little out of the way) and presently working
on one for Hessen. As I was educated for many years,including
college, by Irish and German nuns,I understand (from personal
experience)how our Germanic/Gothic and Celtic cultures became
enmeshed.  Gerhard Herm wrote in his book "The Celts:The People Who
Came Out Of The Darkness" that the Celts had a god named "Teutates";
the early Irish had the concept of tuath.  Both "teuta" and "tuath"
merely meant people, and from this root emerged the word "deutsch."
Ref: pg 97. Looking forward to enjoying all the activity flourishing
on this list.

      Maureen

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Ppl8ZC/TFaCAA/qvCFAA/1rrVlB/TM