[gothic-l] Hey Bertil

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sat Apr 21 07:08:28 UTC 2001

Hans,

You would have to ask more specific questions.
No doubt material on Germanic mythology,
for instance, published in the late 19th
century, might have been supplemented by new and
different views on the subject. That does
not necessarily mean that everything in older
research is "dated". It just means that when
reading Rydberg and other older literature
the later breakthroughs in the field have to be
taken into account.

If for example in the case of Sweden one
would for instance check Professor Aake
Hultkrantz, _Vem aer vem i nordisk mytologi? -
Gestalter och aeventyr i Eddans gudavaerld_,
Stockholm 1991, to compare.

One could say that _Nordiska myter och sagor_,
commented by Vilhelm Groenbech, 1965,
and G.Eriksson - I.Svantesson, _Fornnordiska
myter och gudasagor_, 1984, replace
Viktor Rydberg_ Faedernas gudasaga_, 1887,
reprinted 1983, and Kata Dalstroem, _Nordiska
gudasagor_ (1887, reprinted 1985). But this
is only in the case of Sweden. There are,
I am certain, numerous new literature in other
countries on the subject of Nordic mythology.

But is this not more a subject for other lists, as it is
not specifically Gothic but more of a general Germanic
nature?

Gothically

Bertil

> In *what way* would you say it's dated?
>
> Would you say his works are still *relevant*?

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Ppl8ZC/TFaCAA/qvCFAA/1rrVlB/TM