[gothic-l] Re: Gothic influence on Baltic Prussians

Håkan hakan36 at SPRAY.SE
Wed Apr 25 22:39:46 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:

> We had a short discussion about a possible Gothic influence on the
> later Prussians (Prussen, a Baltic people) before. However, I have
now
> received some Russian material about the recently rediscovered
Prussia
> Collection in Kaliningrad/Koenigsberg, which contained among others
> early Prussian and Gothic artefacts and the text suggests a certain
> continuity between the Vistula Gothic Willenberg/Wielbark culture,
the
> so called Masovia- Germanic culture of the 6th/7th century and the
> early Prussian culture. Interestingly, Wolfram suggests in his book
> 'The Goths', that parts of the Baltic Galindi joined the Goths,
which
> is also attested by Gothic personal names like Galindai.
>
> The Galindi were a Prussian subtribe like the Samen (not to be
> confused with the Scandinavian Saami) and Kuren. The Galindi
settled
> in the Masovia (Masuren) region were also Willenberg/Wilbark is
> situated and which may provide the link between the Gothic and the
> Prussian culture. From the 12th century the Prussians were absorbed
> into a population of German settlers, but the name Galinden
remained
> in use until the 18th century.
>
> cheers
> Dirk
>
> For the Masovia-Germanic culture see:
> V. I. Kulakov, "Mogil'niki zapadnoi chasti Mazurskogo poozer'ia
> konca  V-nachala VIII vv. " _Barbaricum_ 1 (1989),148-276;
>
>             -- "Gräber pruzzischer Stammesführer aus Warnikam,"
> Eurasia Antiqua_ 3 (1990), 595-628].

Hi Dirk!
I just remember that I had a discussion with a guy on dejanews.com
(not sure if that´s the adress now). He mentioned the jatvingians and
also that he thought that vandals came from the baltic verb vendit,
which meant "watch, guard". He also had a theory that the goths were
followed by baltic people. It´s possible that he had read Wolfram.
Hi´s and yours ideas seams very similar.

Håkan Liljeberg

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Ppl8ZC/TFaCAA/qvCFAA/1rrVlB/TM