[gothic-l] Re: Analysis/Reconstruction of *Biari

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 26 06:31:51 UTC 2001

Hmmm, perhaps we could use this to reconstruct the Gothic word for
chupacabras, and add it to my list of monsters I used to post on Haloween ;)

IUSTEINUS

<<Hails Mat aius!

That word "biari" made me think about a similar word in nordic

believs.

In south Scandinavian tradition is the word 'biera'or 'bjära'. That

means a creature that comes to the domesticised animals like cows and

goats at nights, and drain them of power and milk. In islendic

tradition it´s called 'tillbera', that could mean "carry-to". The

myths are alike as far as I can understand. It´s usually a women, a

whitch, who put sticks, cloths and threads together. She says a magic

spell and the cloth comes to life and must work for here. It just

have to fed time by time with milk. It when goes out to milk the

neighbours and other peoples cows. It takes away luck from the other

farms to give everything to hi´s owner. Maybe it was a way to explain

why some peasants were lucky and some continued to have misfortune.

"They are draining us from good fortune", could have been said by

many farmers about their neighbours 150-200 years ago. And in some

cases old people would suspect a 'biera'.

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Ppl8ZC/TFaCAA/qvCFAA/1rrVlB/TM