[gothic-l] Gauti (goetar), Goti, Guthones, Gotones, Goutai

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Apr 26 13:53:08 UTC 2001

Dear listmembers,

Tacitus uses the name Gotones, Ptolemy however used Guthones.
He is the last to mention the Goths under that name and the first
to mention Goutai (Geog. 2.11.16).

It is important to remember that the connection between Gotones
and the later Goths is unclear. Later comments on _Germania_
refers to Jordanes which places the Goths on the island
of Scandza. They migrated to Gothiscandza and it is generally
thought that the latter was on the southern shore of
the Baltic. And it would fit with Ptolemy's placing of the
Guthones. The fact that Ptolemy placed the Goutai on the
large island of Skandia near the mouth of the Vistula may
reflect information from two different periods. It may also
indicate that there were peoples with similar names in both
locations. See my earlier rendering of Thorsten Andersson
and of course the geographical names Oestergoetland,
Vaestergoetland and Gotland.

Kufner in "The Grouping and Separation of the Germanic
Languages" in _Toward a Grammar of Proto-Germanic_ (1972)
strongly suggests a link between Gothic and North Germanic
dialects.

Gothically

Bertil

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Ppl8ZC/TFaCAA/qvCFAA/1rrVlB/TM