[gothic-l] Re: Goths and Bavaria

babeck at ALPHALINK.COM.AU babeck at ALPHALINK.COM.AU
Thu Aug 2 11:48:03 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
>...Any way, it is well know that "Milano"
> is not really an Italian city, but an old German city that is called
> "Mailand", and consulting the map shows that "Mailand" is in fact
> the major city of Lombardia.

Hello Keth,
  I am not sure what you mean by this.  "Mailand" is derived
from "Milano", not the reverse.  And "Milano" is derived from the
Latin "Mediolanum", which is probably of Celtic origin.  Milan was
originally a Celtic settlement dating from about the 5th century BC
and was conquered by Rome in 222BC.  It was capital of the Western
Roman Empire from the 4th century AD.  So I am not sure how it can be
an old German city rather than an Italian city, in fact, it initially
declined under the Germanic invasions.  Perhaps I have misunderstood
you.
Cheers,
Brian

Small business owners...