[gothic-l] Re: Goths and Bavaria

cstrohmier at YAHOO.COM cstrohmier at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 2 16:00:33 UTC 2001

Hi Keth,
	Thank you for your kind words.  Here is the information that
you are looking for.  It comes from page 582 in "Elfter Band
Sol-Unj" in Der Grosse Brockhaus.  (You weren't able to find
it, because you probably weren't looking in the edition
copyrighted in 1957.)
Sincerely yours,
Cory

	"Baiern, Bajuwaren, Bojoarier, Baianoi (PTOLEMÄUS 150 n.
Chr.), Baibari (JORDANES), in Bayern eingewanderter german. Stamm,
nach seiner früheren Heimat benannt; nach TACITUS war dies
Böhmen(Boihaemum).  Neuere denken an Baia am Schwarzen Meer (J.
ZIBERMAYR).  In Böhmen wohnten vor den Markomannen die kelt.
Boier. Die Bajuwaren setzten sich wohl aus Markomannen, Quaden,
Naristen, sueb. Resten, Splittern von Ostgoten, Skiren, Turkilingern,
Rugiern, kelt. und röm., slaw. und illyr. Resten zusammen  (L.
SCHMIDT, M. SPINDLER);  zwischen 490 und 530 nahmen sie die Donau-
Hochebene in Besitz.
	"Bis 800 siedelten die B. in mindestens 2500 (auf -ing
endenden) Orten, und zwar nach S in den Alpentälern bis zur Etsch,
wo die langobard. Siedlung und Herrschaft begann, nach W bis zum
Lech, der seit 565 die Grenze gegen die Alemannen bildete, im Nordgau
(der Oberpfalz) bis zum Stammesgebiet der Franken und Thüringer.
Nach O erreichten sie zunächst die Enns, dann den Wiener Wald;
hier bestanden sie schwere Abwehrkämpfe gegen die Awaren und
Ungarn. Diese Stammesgrenzen haben sich im wesentl. bis heute
erhalten, so daß die B. mit den Österreichern,
Kärtnern,Steiermärkern, Salzburgern, Tirolern innerhalb des
Oberdeutschen  (--> Deutsche Mundarten) eine Gruppe bilden; doch hat
die österr. Kultur eine Eigenentwicklung genommen."

	The following passage comes from pages 174-175 of the New
Catholic Encyclopedia:
	"Christian Origins and Medieval Period.  The Bavarians belong
to the great west Germanic tribe of the Suevi and are the descendants
of the Marcomanni, whose name disappeared from historical records in
the 4th century.  Mixed with other Germanic national groups, they
came into the region where they are settled today.  As *Jordanis
reports in his History of the Goths (551), they became eastern
neighbors of the Alemanni.  Their name Baiawarioz, i.e., "people
from Baia" (later Baiwari or Baiuwari), was probably given them by
their Romano-Celtic neighbors.  In the course of the great
migrations, they occupied in the 6th century those parts of the Roman
provinces of Rhaetia and Noricum that were situated between the Lech
and Enns Rivers, the Northern Forest (Bavarian and Bohemian Forest),
and the Alps."

	The following passage comes from page 179 of the same New
Catholic Encyclopedia:
	"BAVARIANS (BAVARII), a Germanic people who settled in
southeast Germany between the Lech and Enns rivers, and along the
Danube, chiefly within the Roman province of Noricum.  Their origin
is obscure.  Traditionally they have been considered remnants or
descendants of the Marcomanni, long resident in Bohemia, the land of
the Celtic Boii.  Hence, supposedly, the origin of the names
Baioarii, Bajuvarii, or Bavarii.  Some recent scholarship rejects the
Marcomannic theory, without supplying another generally acceptable.
I. Zibermayr considers the Bavarians an independent East German
people; E. Schwarz and H. Löwe believe their nucleus was West
German, mainly *Suevi from Pannonia.  Details of their migration are
not known, but they seem to have occupied their new homeland between
489 and 539, and were a unified people under one ruler, a duke of the
Agilolfing family.  By the time of Garibald (560-590), the first
known duke, the Bavarians had fallen under Frankish control,
evidently without resistance.  Frankish rule weakened after 639, but
the Avar threat inclined the Bavarians to remain under Frankish
domination and protection."

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> Hello Dirk!
> Yes, I was also impressed by Cory's detailed historic knowledge of
> Bavaria. Her post was so solid that I felt there was nothing I
could add.
> It is odd with really good posts, that they frequently do not get
answered,
> because they seem so comlete that nobody has anything to add.
>
> Cory also referred to Brockhaus. However, when I went to look there,
> I found nothing, except the standard dictionary entries that
Bavarian
> history begins in the sixth century with the "Einmarsch der
Bajuwaren"
> who are supposed to have come from Bohemia. (any connection with
> the Boii?)  And then also a mention of Agilwulf and
the "Agilolfingen"
> dynasty.
>
> However when I looked under "Bairisch" (writen with "i", whereas
Bayern
> is written with "y" - any one know why?), the Brockhaus referred to
> "deutsche mundarten" and under that topos I found an interesting map
> of the Germanic dialects. And there I found something that surprised
> me; for it became clear that linguists refer to the language spoken
in
> Tirol *also as bairisch ! ! !  Now why didn't that come up on the
list
> as we discussed this before? I even specifically mentioned Süd
Tirol,
> with Bozen and the Brenner. Now if all that is *also Bairisch
(linguist-
> ically speaking), then that changes things quite a bit. No wonder I
> found I could understand Bairisch when I visited there some years
ago,
> after having spent many months in Tirol.
>
> You see, what I thought until now, was that Bairisch referred
strictly to
> the dialect spoken within the present borders of the Teilstaat
Bayern.
> But if the dialect spoken in Tirol (Innsbruck!) is also bairisch,
> then that changes things quite a bit from my point of view.
>
> However, what the map *also says (o, erstaunen, erstaunen) is that
> Vienna is *also in the "bairischen mundarten" area. Now, that is
> beginning to sound a bit odd to me. For if there is something that
> is certain, then it is that the "Wienersprache" has a very distinct
> note to it, that distinguishes it from other Austrian dialects.
> And especially "bairisch". More likely is perhaps the attribution
> of Steiermärkisch to bairisch, but even that is a long distance
> from Tirol, and clearly distinguishable, even to my ear. (or maybe
> especially to my ear)
>
> What should also be discussed when Bayern is discussed, is that its
> present area perhaps only gives a very approximate indication of
> its area in the 6th century. Any way, it is well know that "Milano"
> is not really an Italian city, but an old German city that is called
> "Mailand", and consulting the map shows that "Mailand" is in fact
> the major city of Lombardia. Tirol must earlier have extended rather
> far south. Perhaps as far as Verona? From the map I see that it is
> approx. 150 kilometers from Bozen to Verona. And so I think the
> discussion might be much clarified if one specifies where one
> envisions the old 5th century language borders, as well as what
> areas that were then conceived of as  Bayern and Lombardia.
> Raetia it also said. That was the old name of Baiern, before
> the Bavarians came.
>
> Best regards
> Keth
>

> >Hi Cory and Francisc,
> >
> >your discussion is really interesting. I think one of the
arguments
> >against a Gothic mission to Bavaria is based on the fact that the
> >Arian church was never really focused on missionary work in
general.
> >However, one thing is obvious Theoderic was keen to secure the
borders
> >of his realm once the conquest of Italy was complete. In some
cases he
> >sought marriage alliances while he resorted to war against the
Gepids
> >in order to secure the important north-eastern gate-way into
Italy.
> >The Bajuvari were at the northern border of the Ostrogothic
kingdom at
> >a strategically important position. Controlling Bavaria could
> >potentially help to thwart Frankish attempts to expand east and
> >south-eastwards. The Thuringian kingdom was also allied with the
> >Ostrogoths to a similar end. However, in Bavaria I suppose that
the
> >Ostrogoths might have seen a chance for more direct intervention.
It
> >has been argued that some of the administrative divisions of
Bavaria
> >were put into place by the Goths.
> >
> >I agree with Corey, that the ways of political and linguistic
> >influence of the Goths on Bavaria is probably more complicated
than
> >missions and refugees, but I am slightly more sceptical about a
real
> >'influx' of actual Goths into Bavaria. I would propose a more
indirect
> >scenario. It is an established fact that the Bavarian dukedom was
> >closely related with the Langobardic kingdom in Italy. We know
that
> >some Langobardic kings spend much of their lifetime in Bavaria and
the
> >last Langobardic kings are often called the Bavarian dynasty.
After
> >the fall of the Ostrogothic kingdom, the Goths did not vanish from
> >Italy, but basically blended into the local and new Langobardic
> >population. As  such Gothic will likely have made some impression
on
> >Langobardic, and this influence could have been carried through
> >Langobards/Goths to Bavaria.
> >
> >I believe one area where a linguistic and other influence should
be
> >visible is personal names. Bavaria has to this day a number of
> >peculiar personal names that could portray an East Germanic (not
> >necessarily Gothic) influence. Thus, we have otherwise unknown
male
> >names like Tassilo, Odilo/Uatila and Athala, but also Otakar which
is
> >directly derived from Odoaker. Interestingly, a lead-name of the
> >Bavarian Agilofing ducal house was Fara. This name may have been
> >brought to Bavaria, by the Herul prince of that name who became
also
> >duke of Bavaria. In addition, Fara was also a lead-name of some
> >Langobardic ducal houses.
>
> Odoacer is the same as "Oddvar
>
> >In contrast to Corey I believe that Bavarian is essentially a West
> >Germanic language and that the 'men from Baia', where initially
> >Langobards and later after the 530s Thuringians. These were
> >supplemented by East Germanic splinter groups such as Skiri (who
have
> >given their name to Scheyern/Skirensis in Bavaria), Rugians near
> >Passau and Heruls in Austro-Bavaria (where we may even have
placenames
> >based on the Herul name), as well as some Goths and 'Italian
> >Langobards'.
> >
> >I wonder if the so- called 5 'Genealogiae', i.e. the five leading
> >early Bajuvarian families in the 6th and 7th  centuries: the
Huosi,
> >Fagana, Hahhilinga, Draozza and Anniona plus the Agilofing dukes
are
> >not the ruling clans of 5 or 6 different tribal groups. Is anybody
> >aware of an interpretation of these names?
> >
> >cheers,
> >Dirk
> >

> >You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a
blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM