[gothic-l] Goths and Bavaria

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Fri Aug 3 00:57:52 UTC 2001

Hello Leonardo!
you wrote:
>Re: I'm sorry but here I've got to correct you, Milano
>is in fact an old "celto-roman city", it was called
>Mediolanum and was founded by the romans on a place
>where there were/had been some celtic settlements.

But you know the Germans call it "Mailand".
I thought perhaps this name went back to the Goths and
the Lombards; especially because it is today (still?) the
capital of Lommbardia.

And besides, if it was the Kelts who founded it, then its
original name might not have been "Mediolanum", which sounds
Latin to me.

It says that in 774 it came under Charlemagne and the Franks.
And then later in the Middle Ages there was a strife there
between the "Welps" (sp) and the "Ghibellins" and then
also Frederic Barbarossa was involved there. But of course
I do not know anything about the language. But I believe Tirol
used to extend further south and that German or a variety of
Bavarian may then have been spoken there.

Best regards
Keth

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!