[gothic-l] Goths and Bavaria

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Fri Aug 3 01:09:01 UTC 2001

Cory,
I found the Britannica of 1962, and looked under "Bavaria".
It says the year 520 stems from a Frankish document, of that
date, which mentions the "Baivarii" as having settled in
the Donau valley and adjacent areas by that time. It is
only a brief note, but I interpret it as meaning that the date
of the document is 520, and that hence they must have been
known to have settled there sometime before that date.
So maybe there wasn't a definite date, only a fact of presence.

And you were right about the Brockhaus, since the one I looked
in was from 1996, and the text there was a little different from
your excerpt. Thanks!

Keth

P.S. The Britannica quotes G.T.Rudhardt and A.Quitzmann as references
for the oldest history of Bavaria. Both wrote around 1840-1860.
Maybe you can find something there.

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM