[gothic-l] The Letter H (was Re: Gothic word for King)

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Tue Aug 7 10:58:29 UTC 2001

Hi Troels,

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Troels Brandt" <trbrandt at p...> wrote:
> If we assume the name to be the background for the OE word "eorl"
and
> maybe ON "jarl" the way of spelling is dependent on the later
writers
> knowledge of this background. However "eo" and the Nordic "j" might
> indicate a sound before the vowels "e" or open "a" - if it is not
> caused by the "r". Could this have been a faint Eastgermanic
> aspiration or consonant contributing to all the above confusion? If
> we assume the Herulian language to be similar to Gothic did such a
> faint H/J-sound exist in Gothic?
>
> If the name was written in runes we should according to Keth expect
> the name to be written as it was pronounced at that time and place.
> agree, but do we know how "erilaR" was pronounced in the 5th and 6th
> century as you indicated, Keth?

The ON form jarl (and maybe also the OE form eorl) is due to the
"breaking" of [e] before [a] in the original form *erla-. In the form
"erilaR", that occurs in runic inscriptions, the "i" is only "ein
heller Sproßvokal", according to Andreas Heusler's "Altisländische
Elementarbuch" (Carl Winter Universitätsverlag, Heidelberg, 1967).

Francisc

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM