[gothic-l] The Letter H (was Re: Gothic word for King)

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Tue Aug 7 18:01:58 UTC 2001

Hi Francisc

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Francisc Czobor" <czobor at c...> wrote:

> The ON form jarl (and maybe also the OE form eorl) is due to the
> "breaking" of [e] before [a] in the original form *erla-.

I agree, but could this "breaking" sound derive from a consonant in
another language?

> In the form
> "erilaR", that occurs in runic inscriptions, the "i" is only "ein
> heller Sproßvokal", according to Andreas Heusler's "Altisländische
> Elementarbuch" (Carl Winter Universitätsverlag, Heidelberg, 1967).

Troels

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM