[gothic-l] Re: Hungarian tale of haliorunnae?

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Wed Aug 8 08:27:06 UTC 2001

Hails!

There is indeed in the Hungarian folklore a legend of the White Stag,
that is connected with the origin of the Huns & Hungarians. It is
mentioned already in the Painted Chronicle of Vienna (14th century ?).
According to this legend, the King Menroth (identified with the
biblical Nimrod) had two sons: Hunor and Magor. One day, the boys were
out hunting and pursued a splendid white stag for a long time.
Suddenly, the stag disappeared and in that place they found very
beautiful fairies. The brothers kidnapped the two most beautiful
fairies, who were the doughters of Dulo, the king of the Alans, and
married them. The descendants of Hunor were the Huns, and those of
Magor the Hungarians (Magyars).
This is only a legend created in order to support the claim of the
Hungarians that they are related to the Huns (and thus justifying the
occupation of Pannonia in the 10th century through a taking in
posession of their Hunic heritage) and also in order to find out a
biblical filiation for the Hungarians (in fact, the Huns were a
Turco-Mongolian people, while the Hungarians are Finno-Ugrian).
However, I never saw the name "aliorunna" for these fairies. In the
texts in Hungarian language, they are named "tündér", which is the
Hungarian word for "fairy".

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> I found this text on the following web-site:
>
> http://www.suppressedhistories.net/secret_history/kings_witches.html
>
> Does anybody know if this is based on really Hungarian traditional
> folk-tales? or has the author Arany Janos, taken these 'aliorunna'
> witches from the Getica?
>
> Here is the text:
>
> "Hungarian tradition preserved its own version of the Gothic
> rune-women,conflated with medieval faery-mistress themes. A
> 19th-century poem, "The Stag" by Arany János, gives its outlines.
The
> beautiful chieftainess Ened had two sons, Hunor and Magwor. They
> hunted a stag which got them lost in the forest. There they saw the
> aliorunna dancing, feasting and doing magic. The brothers abducted
> these faeries, who held aloof for a time, but finally reconciled
with
> them.
>
> They became the ancestors of the Huns. After a time, the group that
> became the Magyars separated from the others in their wanderings.
The
> legacy of the priestess-ancestors was that magic and beauty would
pass
> down through the female line, but the boys would be stocky and
> bowlegged. Tradition assured Hungarian girls that because they were
> descended from these faeries, theyinherited a certain superiority
over
> the boys. [Z Budapest, personal communication, 10/6/95] "
>

> cheers,
>
> Dirk

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!