[gothic-l] Re: Hungarian tale of haliorunnae?

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Thu Aug 9 10:46:48 UTC 2001

Hails!

Being still intrigued by the strange information below, I searched a
website with the complete poems of the 19th century Hungarian poet
Arany János:
http://www.mek.iif.hu/porta/szint/human/szepirod/magyar/arany/osszes/
But I did not find any poem called "The Stag" (A szarvas), or other
variants that occur in the Hungarian folklore: "The White Stag" (A
fehér szarvas) or "The Wonder Stag" (A csodaszarvas). It would be
useful to know the original Hungarian title of that poem, if it really
exists, in order to verify if it occurs there a word like "aliorunna".

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> I found this text on the following web-site:
>
> http://www.suppressedhistories.net/secret_history/kings_witches.html
>
> Does anybody know if this is based on really Hungarian traditional
> folk-tales? or has the author Arany Janos, taken these 'aliorunna'
> witches from the Getica?
>
> Here is the text:
>
> "Hungarian tradition preserved its own version of the Gothic
> rune-women,conflated with medieval faery-mistress themes. A
> 19th-century poem, "The Stag" by Arany János, gives its outlines.
The
> beautiful chieftainess Ened had two sons, Hunor and Magwor. They
> hunted a stag which got them lost in the forest. There they saw the
> aliorunna dancing, feasting and doing magic. The brothers abducted
> these faeries, who held aloof for a time, but finally reconciled
with
> them.
>
> They became the ancestors of the Huns. After a time, the group that
> became the Magyars separated from the others in their wanderings.
The
> legacy of the priestess-ancestors was that magic and beauty would
pass
> down through the female line, but the boys would be stocky and
> bowlegged. Tradition assured Hungarian girls that because they were
> descended from these faeries, theyinherited a certain superiority
over
> the boys. [Z Budapest, personal communication, 10/6/95] "
>

> cheers,
>
> Dirk

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!