[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Bavarians and Heruls

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Thu Aug 9 13:46:57 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk,
I saw it mentioned in one of the books two days ago, that
"Datius" may have been the same legendary name as occurs
in Saxo Grammaticus. But there it was king "Dan". (was
it in Menghin? Am not sure any more)

Keth

>Hi Troells,
>
>one more question if I may. Are you aware of any interpretation of the
>name of the Herulic king 'Datius', who according to Procopius
>travelled from Thule to the Danube area? Do you think that it is
>likely his real name, a corruption of his real name or a name given to
>an otherwise unknown king?
>
>It is interesting to note that a pagan Herul from Thule would share a
>name with the famous bishop of Milan, who died in 552AD. The Bishop St
>Datius was expelled from Italy by the Ostrogoths and lived most of the
> time in Constantinople. As he was highly criticle of Justinian, he
>was likely of great interest to Procopius. Like an earlier Saint
>Datius in Africa, Datius of Milan was also sanctified. Using his name
>might have been an important political message at the time. This is of
>course pure speculation. The name itself means probably the Dacian,
>i.e. man from Dacia, as Dacia was also written Datia.
>

>thanks
>Dirk

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!