[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Bavarians and Heruls

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Thu Aug 9 14:28:12 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk

I don't have my notes here, and I also owe you an explanation about
the Brents, which Bertil supplemented some days ago. I hope to return
in the weekend.

However I remember a discussion about a connection to Danus (Dane or
Dan, which was a common royal name in the Danish cronicles) - and
this could again lead to the discussion Dania/Dacia, which you
mention.

The first candidate - whom he succeeded - died by a disease among the
Danes, so there might even be a connection there. Datius probably
died in Dacia, but that was after Procopius wrote the name.

I have also seen a connection mentioned to one of the first Svea-
kings in Ynglingatal, Dag (=Day).

If we remove the -us or -ius, the name is very short. I believe
misunderstandings in such cases are likely, and also the combination
is probable in many languages.

However Datius expelled the Herulian general Suartuas. I am sure he
remembered his name and Procopius probably listened to Suartuas. I
don't think he was mixed up with or got his name from a Milanese
bishop.

Troels

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> Hi Troells,
>
> one more question if I may. Are you aware of any interpretation of
the
> name of the Herulic king 'Datius', who according to Procopius
> travelled from Thule to the Danube area? Do you think that it is
> likely his real name, a corruption of his real name or a name given
> an otherwise unknown king?
>
> It is interesting to note that a pagan Herul from Thule would share
> name with the famous bishop of Milan, who died in 552AD. The Bishop
St
> Datius was expelled from Italy by the Ostrogoths and lived most of
the
>  time in Constantinople. As he was highly criticle of Justinian, he
> was likely of great interest to Procopius. Like an earlier Saint
> Datius in Africa, Datius of Milan was also sanctified. Using his
name
> might have been an important political message at the time. This is
of
> course pure speculation. The name itself means probably the Dacian,
> i.e. man from Dacia, as Dacia was also written Datia.
>

> thanks
> Dirk

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!