[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Bavarians and Heruls

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Aug 10 09:04:08 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Troels Brandt" <trbrandt at p...> wrote:
> Hi Dirk
>
> I don't have my notes here, and I also owe you an explanation about
> the Brents, which Bertil supplemented some days ago. I hope to
return
> in the weekend.
>
> However I remember a discussion about a connection to Danus (Dane or
> Dan, which was a common royal name in the Danish cronicles) - and
> this could again lead to the discussion Dania/Dacia, which you
> mention.
>
> The first candidate - whom he succeeded - died by a disease among
the
> Danes, so there might even be a connection there. Datius probably
> died in Dacia, but that was after Procopius wrote the name.
>
> I have also seen a connection mentioned to one of the first Svea-
> kings in Ynglingatal, Dag (=Day).
>
> If we remove the -us or -ius, the name is very short. I believe
> misunderstandings in such cases are likely, and also the combination
> is probable in many languages.
>
> However Datius expelled the Herulian general Suartuas. I am sure he
> remembered his name and Procopius probably listened to Suartuas. I
> don't think he was mixed up with or got his name from a Milanese
> bishop.
>
> Troels

Hi Troels,

that was not really what I meant, but anyway, here is the promised URL
to an article by Menghin, in which he re-interprets the Phalheim
horsemen as  Alamannic noblemen.

http://www.dhm.de/ausstellungen/walhall/pfahl.htm

The site is difficult to read, but other articles are also of
interest. BTW, I have heard that the catalog of the recent exhibition
of the Phalheim  horse warriors in the Germanische National
Museum in Nuremberg, stresses the East Germanic/Byzantine nature of
their equipment more than Menghin did.

cheers,
Dirk

PS You mentioned the Varnies, or better Varni in an earlier message.
As far as I know not much is known about them. They were closely
associated with the Thuringians and may actually have been part of the
Thuringians or became part of the Thuringian kingdom as it expanded
north-westwards. Together with the Western Heruls, the Varni (and
Thuringians) were allied with the Visigoths and Ostrogoths. Apparently
, Visigothic kings like Euric, but also Theoderic the Great, sought
their alliance as counter-balance against the Franks. A Varnian with
the name Agiwulf reached a high-ranking  position at the Visigothic
court and was one-time duke of the formerly Suevic areas of north-west
Spain. Like the Western  Heruls, the Varni seemed to have had some
sort of minor kingdom at the Lower Rhine area. I don't know whether or
not the river and town name Warnow and the town name Warnemuende (at
the Baltic Sea) have anything to do with the Varni, but I think it is
rather unlikely.

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM