[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Bavarians and Heruls

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Sun Aug 12 17:47:55 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk

Thanks for the information about Phalheim.

I have not found my original note about the Brents, which had
something to do with Paulus Diaconus, but anyway I can refer you to
Ludwig Schmidt. In his "Die Ostgermanen" you can – at least in my
version - at page 558 (Die Gepiden, Taifalen, Heruler) read about
this Sinduald.

Regarding Fara I had some progress – also reading Schmidt again – as
300 Heruls joined the Persian War in 530 with an officer named Fara
(Source: Procopius' Persian Wars) and around 534 this Fara commanded
400 Heruls against the Vandals. He might be the Herulian prince (or a
relative) dying in 535 in Bavaria – making (if correct) this dynasty
a part of the Herulian mercenaries. In this way he belonged to the
group crossing the Danube and settling in Illyria in 512 (around
Singidudum) – opposite the royal group leaving earlier for
Scandinavia. The Illyrian group was split several times after 512,
and some of their nobles may have joined other people like Sinduald
and maybe Fara. However we can't be sure we are talking about the
same Fara.

Ludwig Schmidt had also noticed Harlinger Land, Herilungoburg and
some other place names containing Harl-. He doubted there was a
connection to the Heruls, but as he did not mention "your" old
versions of Harlingen he possibly missed a point. He combined the
names with the Harlungen dynasty. I am still searching for the
Harlingen-source.

After what I have read the Varnies lived in the Mecklenburg area.
Later they went southwest ending as a part of the Saxons. However I
have never been interested in the Varnies as you have been interested
in the Saxons so you probably know better.

Troels