[gothic-l] Re: Gothic and Old Bavarian (Fred-)

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Fri Aug 10 07:12:13 UTC 2001

Hi Keth,

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> Hi Francisc.
> For the record we have a Norwegian name "Fartein" < Farþegn.
> far = "farkost" (ship) and þegn = a man, a free man in service of a
chief.
> The verb "fara" (to travel, fahren) gives the noun "ferd" = a
journey.
> But Ferdinand seems to derive from OHG Fridunand, which would be an
> example of Ferd- being a corruption of Frid-, as you say.
> However, the Rugians had quite a few names on F:
>
> Feua or Feba
> Feletheus
> Ferderuchus brother of Feletheus
> Flaccitheus Rugian king
> Fredericus, son of Feletheus.
> (from Vita Severini)
>
> You see that the two forms Ferd- and Fred- are coexisting.
> The uncle has Ferd- and the nephew Fred-
> That suggests the two forms were coexisting, and must
> have been seen as not the same. Perhaps variants.

I think you're right. Both Ferd- and Fred- are variants derived from
Gmc. *freðu- (Goth. friþu-) "peace" (Germ. Frieden). For instance, the
name Ferdinand, Spanish Fernando/Hernando, is considered to be derived
from Goth. *friþu-nands. Similarly, Fredericus/Friedrich is from Gmc.
*freðu-ri:kaz (in Gothic it would be *friþu-reiks).

Francisc

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM