Ostrogoths [gothic-l] The old Border between Norway andSweden.

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Mon Aug 13 05:57:27 UTC 2001

Tore,

Only Nordin is a translation. Weibull is a history
of Sweden and Hoops 2nd Edition is one of the
most renowned encyclopedias of Germanic
history published.

And Tore, history is not like a court case because
there are no exact historical laws. There is extensive
debate on the issue of historical cycles and economic
cycle like the Kondratieff cycle, but nothing is proven.

Everyone is entitled to his own interpretation but
but it is necessary to look at other interpretations
for a comparative view.

It would be interesting to know your opinion on the
extension of Gautoi/Goetar settlement say 0 - 1000 AD?

Gothically

Bertil

You both refer to translations (Nordin, Joergen Weibull and Hoops 2nd ed).
These translations can of course be useful when we try to intepret what
Jordanes writes. However it is only these authors view in their environment
that is mirrored. We can only look at the original text and try to
understand it. If we can't combine Jordanes texts with other sources we
haven't got a clue which people Jordanes describes.
Therefore we must look at other sources, archaeological discoveries and so
on. This is like in a court case. If the evidence is strong the picture
that appears might be close to what really is the case.
I only use translations to help me understand the original text and fit it
into  a reality with archaelological findings.