Ostrogoths [gothic-l] The old Border between Norway andSweden.

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Mon Aug 13 09:37:01 UTC 2001

Hello Bertil,

Yes, we know that Andreas Nordin translated the Getica
to Swedish. But you should also mention that Nordin's
book includes "the" Latin. (Left page = Latin - Right
page = Swedish) Thus, armed with Nordin, one can easily
quote the Getica both in Latin and Swedish. I quoted the Swedish
because I believe more listmembers understand it, than Latin.
However, I also quoted the Latin text on some occasions,
and then I looked up the words there in two or three different
dictionaries. That is when I discovered that Latin "citrus
leaf" can also mean a Tuja leaf, and not just lemons and oranges.

>Only Nordin is a translation. Weibull is a history
>of Sweden and Hoops 2nd Edition is one of the
>most renowned encyclopedias of Germanic
>history published.

I think most people on the list would know what "Hoops" is,
if you only call it "Reallexicon der Germanischen Altertumswissenschafften"
The only objection against its use is its price.
Because it isn't on the internet (yet)

>And Tore, history is not like a court case because
>there are no exact historical laws. There is extensive
>debate on the issue of historical cycles and economic
>cycle like the Kondratieff cycle, but nothing is proven.

I think Tore knows it isn't like a court case.
Because in a court case they always need to find "who did it".
But in history, we must learn to live with ignorance,
and not immediatly rush to fill up all the vacua with
our phantasies. That does of course not preclude
the discussion of possibilities. But all we can do is
to assign some very tenuous and a priori kind of probabilities
to the various possibilities.

>Everyone is entitled to his own interpretation but
>but it is necessary to look at other interpretations
>for a comparative view.

And especially to understand the logic behind the various views.
Tabulating opinions is not the right way to arrive at safe conclusions.
Only by studying the logical process that leads to the conclusions
can that be achieved.

>It would be interesting to know your opinion on the
>extension of Gautoi/Goetar settlement say 0 - 1000 AD?

Why not rather ask for how he reasons, rather than only ask for
his opinion? In science the methodology can be seen as more
important than the conclusions arrived at.

It is the same way in mathematics:
If you can quote all the theorems, it doesn't help you
very much if you don't understand the proofs. It just is
like that.

Best regards
Keth