[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls-Goffart-J.Svennung.

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Sat Dec 1 15:23:14 UTC 2001

>    Einar, Hæ.
>
>> Troels mentioned in his letter no. 5125 yesterday the very specific
>> information in Book VI, xv, 6-15.
>

>  Einar; I am sure that this above mentioned info.(midnight-sun etc)
>is from
>Book III,History of the wars, VI.xv (from about 6-15). I just have
>copies but I am almost sure of this.

Einar,
in VI.XV.8-13 it says
And although I was eager to go to this island and become an eyewitness of
the things I have told, no opportunity ever presented itself. However, I
made enquiry from those who come to us from the island as to how in the
world they are  able to reckon the length of the days, since the sun never
sets there at the appointed times. And they gave me an account which is
true and trustworthy. For they said that the sun during those forty days
does not indeed set just as has been stated, but is visible to the people
there at one time toward the east, and again toward the west. Whenever,
therefore,on its return,it reaches the same place on the horizon where they
had previously been accustomed to see it rise, they reckon in this way that
one day and night have passed. When, however, the time of the nights
arrives, they always take note of the courses of the moon and stars and
thus reckon the measure of the days....

Procopius clearly states that he has spoken to people coming from Thule and
got the above statement confirmed by them.

I have difficulties accepting earlier statements on this sajt that he
should be lying about Thule. As far as I can see he is well informed.
Tore

Anyway you saw it was not from
>book VI.(As stated above). But I wanted to come with a correction.
>
>There are just two books by author J.Svennung in the library that
>could touch on any subject relevant to this discussion.
>That is; Jordanes und Scandia-1967- (which I quoted from yesterday)
>and
>Zur Geschichte des Goticismus.  From 1967 too. That book is located
>in a special library in a suburb of Reykjavík(far away from me). I
>might take a look later,but do not have time for now.
>
>Bless,bless. Einar.

See What You've Been Missing!
Amazing Wireless Video Camera.
Click here