[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls-Procop.-Cameron-DNA R.-Barði-Einar P.

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Dec 5 13:11:08 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:

> >If you read J Svennung's famous article on Swedish Gothicism, you
will
> >find that the opposite is the case.
> >

> >I completely fail to see how this supports the argument for Heruls
in
> >Iceland. Just because 'continental genes' are stronger than
expected
> >in Iceland does not mean that this contribution came from the
Heruls.
> >A recent study on Viking gene contribution to Britain showed that
> >there is absolutely no genetic difference between Danish Vikings
and
> >North German Saxons, Frisians, Angles and others.
> >

> >cheers,
> >Dirk
>

> Dirk,
> Are you referring to "Zur Geschichte des Goticismus"?
>
> As far as I can see Svennung only qoutes latin texts where Heruli
are
> mentioned. I can't find any comments by him about the Heruli. Which
page do
> you refer to?
> Tore

Hi Tore,

I did not say that Svennung wrote about the Heruls at all in his
article, but about the importance of Gothicism in Swedish national
identity. I hope  I remember his text vaguely correctly, but it should
completely refute Einar's argument that the Swedes rejected any
possible link with the Goths in the past because they were worried
that this might be seen as being sympathetic with nationalisms or even
nazism.

See for example the following recent research project on Swedish
Gothicism at the University of Kiel:

http://www.uni-kiel.de/imaginatio/Kollegiaten/schmidtproj.htm

cheers

See What You've Been Missing!