[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls-Procop.-Cameron-DNA R.-Barði-Einar P.

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Wed Dec 5 14:43:17 UTC 2001

>> Dirk,
>> Are you referring to "Zur Geschichte des Goticismus"?
>>
>> As far as I can see Svennung only qoutes latin texts where Heruli
>are
>> mentioned. I can't find any comments by him about the Heruli. Which
>page do
>> you refer to?
>> Tore
>

>Hi Tore,
>
>I did not say that Svennung wrote about the Heruls at all in his
>article, but about the importance of Gothicism in Swedish national
>identity. I hope  I remember his text vaguely correctly, but it should
>completely refute Einar's argument that the Swedes rejected any
>possible link with the Goths in the past because they were worried
>that this might be seen as being sympathetic with nationalisms or even
>nazism.
>
>See for example the following recent research project on Swedish
>Gothicism at the University of Kiel:
>
>http://www.uni-kiel.de/imaginatio/Kollegiaten/schmidtproj.htm
>

>cheers
>Dirk

Dirk,
I agree with you. There might have been a generation of Swedes just after
the war that had such ideas. There were many nazis in the Swedish
academical world.

Now the Swedes are trying to prove that the Goths came from Sweden. It is
only recently that more and more scolars in Sweden accept that the the
nucleos of Goths probably came from Gotland and in later centuries were
followed by people from Sweden.
Ingemar has earlier in this group come with similar ideas.
Tore

See What You've Been Missing!
Amazing Wireless Video Camera.
Click here