[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Dec 6 12:40:45 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "troels_brandt" <trbrandt at p...> wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> >

> > I think you really need to clarify your questions a bit. What
> > description of 'the' midnightsun as opposed to 'this' midnightsun
> are
> > you talking about?
> >
> > One suggestion, if you can't discuss in a amicalbe or at least
> neutral
> > way, why don't you just stay out of it completely?
> >

> Dirk,
>
> Thank you - I will, as you do not answer the question -

Troels,

you ask me a question, but I don't understand it. So I ask for
clarification. If you don't want to clarify your question that is fine
with me.

> but actually
> this thread was started by me, as I had a question regarding names.
> got some useful answers from other listmembers until our usual
> discussion started.
>

> Maybe I acted too fast when you turned up, but I knew your purpose
> and your fast conclusions, as we have discussed the same problems at
> two other lists before.

Why do you always insist on second-guessing what other people's
purpose is. Anyway you guessed wrongly. As I said I was interested in
these answers as well and deliberately waited for them to arrive. Then
 you thought you could draw conclusions from these answers, which were
wrong in my view.

>The Herulian archaeology, which you soon
> started in a new thread, is a another part of this "dance" in
>circles.

Why do you joint in then? You have not contributed anything new to
this discussion at all, so why do you feel compelled to reply?

> The background for the Scandinavian societies and kingdoms - and
> consequently also the possibilities around Heruls - has been my
hobby
> for many years. I do not understand the character of your focus on
> Procopius, but the Heruls have been a part of your crusade against
> Scandinavian theories since the answer you got from Andreas Schwarcz
> in February.

There is no crusade at all. I am quite happy with Andreas Schwarcz'
theory in this matter, but don't agree with it in full. Even the two
of us reached some sort of common ground at one point and only your
persistence that I should answer questions about Procopius'
description of the midnight sun, which I did not understand let to
this escalation.

> In politics it is an accepted tactic to repeat the same claim (true
> or not) again and again - or to neglect a question.

I have not neglected your question, but have tried to give you an
answer, to which you replied that it was not what you wanted to hear
insisting that there is some sort of difference between 'the' midnight
sun and 'this' midnight sun, which in turn I did not understand.

> In my world you
> return a reply or two, and if you are not able to convince your
> counterpart, there is no reason to continue if new aspects are not
> presented and you know other ways to spend your time.

So why don't you act according to 'your world' and continue to reply
even if you have nothing new to contribute?

> I admit that it is often temptating not to withdraw from an open
> discussion, but people reading these lists are able to make their
own
> judgement.

That is true and I have received e-mails from list members asking me
why I put up with your (and other's) behaviour in this discussion?
(more detail off-list if you like)

>In this case I decided many letters ago to leave the
> thread except for one new question brought up by Einar, which could
> show the background for your claims. In 7 letters Tore and I tried
> keep you on the track - you can't misunderstand the question. I give
> up, as I have realised, that this is your way to avoid to answer.

I honestly don't know what this mysterious question was! I have
usually to defend my view against a group of 3 to 4 people some
aspects can easily get lost in this, but we should have the courtesy
to repeat a question if somebody admitts that he does not understand
it.

Promise to Quit
Nicotrol will help
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5vN8tD/AqSDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM