[gothic-l] The Eruli

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Dec 6 13:24:12 UTC 2001

Yes, Troels, thanks. Concerning Blekinge maybe it
could be argued that that the Eruli spread from there
to other parts.

I am glad that you are now considering my arguments in
the academic journal Migraciske teme 15 (1999), 1-2: 215-
227, Zagreb, Croatia ("Eruli Influence in South Scandinavia -
Migration and Remigration"). Also take a look at Fulltofta
and Vennebo.

Erulically

Bertil

Thank you. As you can se in my previous mail I have used your
information.

A year ago I totally disagreed with you regarding Blekinge, and I
still do regarding some of your arguments below. However the
archaeological remains indicate in my opinion an Eastgermanic
presence in Scania/Blekinge in the 5th century, which might be due to
Heruls. Soesdala is an example, but I am also willing to accept
Vaerend. If Jordanes mentioned an event from the 5th or 6th century,
these were probably the Heruls expelled by the Danes. These are
earlier than the Heruls of Procopius, but the Heruls of Procopius may
have heard about the possibilities from their kinsmen in Scandinavia
when they started their travel. I still believe that the maingroup
found a place north of Gautoi.

Break free. Great
American Smokeout
http://us.click.yahoo.com/3vN8tD/.pSDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM