[gothic-l] The Eruli and Runes

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Dec 6 13:45:58 UTC 2001

Tore,

Yes, I think you are right concerning Gummarp,
Stentoften and Istaby but on the other hand what
proof is there that the Eruli brought along the new
runic alphabet of 24 characters.

I have felt a bit uneasy about the Eruli debate
on the Gothic list but I think that you once argued
that Procopius did not regard the Eruli as Gothic.
But there is the Scriptores Historiae
Augustae (probably around 400 AD) , where
you can find under Claudius: "Scytharum
diversi populi: peuci, Greuthungi, Austrogoti, Tervingi,
Visi, Gepides, Celti etiam et Eruli".

Procopius is rather reliable. We also know that he
has been able to interview a number of people
originating in Thoule (see 6-15-7). The idea that
Procopius is totally negative regarding the Eruli
is of course not correct. He says, among other things, that
the Eruli were at the time (6th century AD) "superior to all barbarians
that dwelt around them" (6-14-11), a very high grade,
in my opinion.

Erulically

Bertil

> I have a question to Bertil in this case.
> I stumbled on some information about the Blekinge runes. I got the
> impression that they are of the older 24 caracter alfabet and not the new
> 16 caracter alfabet that Prokopius Heruls probably brought with them.
> Perhaps you have some more information about this.

Stop Smoking Now
Nicotrol will help
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2vN8tD/_pSDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM