[gothic-l] The Eruli and Runes

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Thu Dec 6 14:40:05 UTC 2001

>Tore,
>
>Yes, I think you are right concerning Gummarp,
>Stentoften and Istaby but on the other hand what
>proof is there that the Eruli brought along the new
>runic alphabet of 24 characters.

Bertil,
Just a small correction.
The 24 character alfabet was before the Eruli.
The futark in Gotland is from end 4th century. It these runes are normally
designated to the Goths.

The runes that appear from the 6th century are the 16 caracter alfabet. My
thought is that the Herulis modified the alfabeth.
Tore

>I have felt a bit uneasy about the Eruli debate
>on the Gothic list but I think that you once argued
>that Procopius did not regard the Eruli as Gothic.
>But there is the Scriptores Historiae
>Augustae (probably around 400 AD) , where
>you can find under Claudius: "Scytharum
>diversi populi: peuci, Greuthungi, Austrogoti, Tervingi,
>Visi, Gepides, Celti etiam et Eruli".
>
>Procopius is rather reliable. We also know that he
>has been able to interview a number of people
>originating in Thoule (see 6-15-7). The idea that
>Procopius is totally negative regarding the Eruli
>is of course not correct. He says, among other things, that
>the Eruli were at the time (6th century AD) "superior to all barbarians
>that dwelt around them" (6-14-11), a very high grade,
>in my opinion.
>
>Erulically
>
>Bertil
>
>> I have a question to Bertil in this case.
>> I stumbled on some information about the Blekinge runes. I got the
>> impression that they are of the older 24 caracter alfabet and not the new
>> 16 caracter alfabet that Prokopius Heruls probably brought with them.
>> Perhaps you have some more information about this.
>

>You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
>to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

Quit now for Great
American Smokeout
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0vN8tD/9pSDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM