[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls-A.Cameron-burning alive.

einarbirg einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 6 16:02:14 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "troels_brandt" <trbrandt at p...> wrote:
> > --- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:

remarks in this
> > thread about his description of the Heruls, which you also call
> > unthrustworty:
> >
> > > I agree, it is possible and some authors have argued that they
> > > picked up some Eastern customs to this effect. However, as
> > > Cameron states the 'burning alive' bit is not believable, and
> > > the whole practice is likely an ethnographic cliche.
> >
> > I hope for Cameron that this argument is your own.
>

> No it is directly from Prof. Cameron, as you will know since you
> indicated that you read the book.
>

> Procopios did not
> > talk about "burning alive". The man was killed by a dagger and
> burned
> > afterwards at a pile of wood.
>

> Cameron referes to this passage -when she writes about Procopius'
> ethnographic cliches - in the following words ".... or how the
Heruls
> dispatch the sick by sending a stranger to kill them after tying
them
> in trees and then burning them, trees and all." (p.218f)
>
> I don't have my copy of Procopius at hand, but I tend to believe
that
> Cameron,- as foremost expert of Procopius - will have read him in
the
> original language and that her reading is the latest interpretation
of
> the original text.

   Einar; Hæ,Dirk.

 I assume that your understanding of the English language is better
than mine. Because you live and work in London.

  But I do understand A.Cameron in such a way;

  1. The person is tied to a tree.
  2. Then the stranger is sent to kill that person.
  3. Then after that person is dead,then the body of that person and
the tree he/she is tied to, is burned.

  That is first the person was tied to a tree,then killed and then
the body and the tree is burned. That is that the burning part took
place AFTER the person was dead.

It does not really make sense to first burn somebody alive and then
send somebody to kill that person, just recently beeing burnt alive!

Anyway it is not likely that the Heruli were burning alive their old
and sick relatives.
I guess this description is a oversimplification anyway.
It must have been some kind of a ritual. Saying good bye to
relatives. Showing respect to the person going to be killed etc.
Collecting the bones after the burning etc.

Actually it seems to me that we are talking about a suicide here.
That old and sick people decided that dying was for the best interest
of the tribe.
Some kind of a tribal custom. A custom that involved others as
helpers and obviously as participants in this ritual.
Anyway such tribal customs should be analyzed and interpreted by
anthropologists,not historians. Seems to me at least.

I do not believe that when some of the Heruli was old and sick,then
just of a sudden the other Heruli tied up that person and burned it
alive!!

Bless,bless, Einar.