[gothic-l] Re: Names of Heruls-A.Cameron-burning alive.

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Dec 6 16:51:26 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "einarbirg" <einarbirg at y...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > --- In gothic-l at y..., "troels_brandt" <trbrandt at p...> wrote:
> > > --- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > >
> remarks in this
> > > thread about his description of the Heruls, which you also call
> > > unthrustworty:

> > > I hope for Cameron that this argument is your own.
> >

> > No it is directly from Prof. Cameron, as you will know since you
> > indicated that you read the book.
> >

> > Procopios did not
> > > talk about "burning alive". The man was killed by a dagger and
> > burned
> > > afterwards at a pile of wood.
> >

> > Cameron referes to this passage -when she writes about Procopius'
> > ethnographic cliches - in the following words ".... or how the
> Heruls
> > dispatch the sick by sending a stranger to kill them after tying
> them
> > in trees and then burning them, trees and all." (p.218f)
> >
> > I don't have my copy of Procopius at hand, but I tend to believe
> that
> > Cameron,- as foremost expert of Procopius - will have read him in
> the
> > original language and that her reading is the latest
interpretation
> of
> > the original text.
>

>    Einar; Hæ,Dirk.

>  I assume that your understanding of the English language is better
> than mine. Because you live and work in London.

>   But I do understand A.Cameron in such a way;

>   1. The person is tied to a tree.

>   2. Then the stranger is sent to kill that person.
>   3. Then after that person is dead,then the body of that person and
> the tree he/she is tied to, is burned.
>
>   That is first the person was tied to a tree,then killed and then
> the body and the tree is burned. That is that the burning part took
> place AFTER the person was dead.

Hi again Einar,

that would be my interpretation as well. If I said 'burning alive'
earlier, I was likely wrong. However, at least Cameron does not seem
to read the passage as involving a funery pyre, as suggested by
others. Her reading of the Greek text seems to be that the relatives
of a sick or old Herul would have called a stranger to tie this person
to a tree, kill him or her and then burn the tree together with the
body.  What is absolutely clear is that Cameron regards this not as a
'real' custom, but as an ethnographic cliche that Procopius reported.
Other interpretations maybe possible, but reading and interpreting
Procopius seems to be so difficult that I leave it to the experts.

cheers,

Break free. Great
American Smokeout
http://us.click.yahoo.com/3vN8tD/.pSDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM