[gothic-l] Re: Tribes in Ostrogothia

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Dec 12 10:01:54 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "fericzobor" <czobor at c...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., george knysh <gknysh at y...> wrote:
> > *****GK: According to Maenchen-Helfen's "The World of
> > the Huns" pp. 164-168, the Hunnic horde of the
> > Bittugures joined Theodoric in Moesia in 488 and
> > accompanied the Ostrogoths to Italy. They seem to have
> > had their own "regulus", one Ragnaris (a Germanic
> > name).*****
>
> It is interesting the fact that the leader of the Hunic Bittugures
has
> a Germanic name, because the name of the tribe is Bulgar-Turkic (it
> could mean "five tribes", cf. Onogur "ten tribes", Kutrigur [from
> *Tukrigur] "nine tribes", Utrigur "30 tribes" etc., all being names
of
> tribal unions resulted from the splitting of the Hunic empire after
> Attila's death).
> Anyway, the case is not singular: Attila himself and his uncle
Rugila
> had also Germanic names, isn't it?
>
> Francisc

Hi Francisc,

I read somewhere that some Huns had Germanic names and some Goths had
Hunnic names, although I cannot recall an example for the latter. I
find it remarkable that Huns, who dominated the Goths, took on Gothic
names. I suppose the main explanation for this would be
intermarriages. Thus, Huns might have married Gothic women to a
larger extent and the Gothic wife gave their off-spring Gothic names.
Without such intermarriages I would find it difficult to imagine why
Huns would choose names from their sub-servient people.

cheers,

Break free. Great
American Smokeout
http://us.click.yahoo.com/3vN8tD/.pSDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM