[gothic-l] Re: Tribes in Ostrogothia

Sahin Ahmet ahmetsahinn at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 13 06:26:18 UTC 2001

 They might have tried to associate themselves with the gothic society as leaders or they might have had double names. That happened also for the Turkish rulers of the Persia. Often they used persian names like "keyhüsrev","keykubat","horasani","shirazi"and "babür".Intermarriages are also indispensable since hunnic people has melted within the majority of the hungarians,slavs and goths.
  faltin2001 <dirk at smra.co.uk> wrote: --- In gothic-l at y..., "fericzobor" <czobor at c...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., george knysh <gknysh at y...> wrote:
> > *****GK: According to Maenchen-Helfen's "The World of
> > the Huns" pp. 164-168, the Hunnic horde of the
> > Bittugures joined Theodoric in Moesia in 488 and
> > accompanied the Ostrogoths to Italy. They seem to have
> > had their own "regulus", one Ragnaris (a Germanic
> > name).*****
>
> It is interesting the fact that the leader of the Hunic Bittugures
has
> a Germanic name, because the name of the tribe is Bulgar-Turkic (it
> could mean "five tribes", cf. Onogur "ten tribes", Kutrigur [from
> *Tukrigur] "nine tribes", Utrigur "30 tribes" etc., all being names
of
> tribal unions resulted from the splitting of the Hunic empire after
> Attila's death).
> Anyway, the case is not singular: Attila himself and his uncle
Rugila
> had also Germanic names, isn't it?
>
> Francisc

Hi Francisc,

I read somewhere that some Huns had Germanic names and some Goths had
Hunnic names, although I cannot recall an example for the latter. I
find it remarkable that Huns, who dominated the Goths, took on Gothic
names. I suppose the main explanation for this would be
intermarriages. Thus, Huns might have married Gothic women to a
larger extent and the Gothic wife gave their off-spring Gothic names.
Without such intermarriages I would find it difficult to imagine why
Huns would choose names from their sub-servient people.

cheers,
Dirk

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

Win a Capcom Console Game.