[gothic-l] Re: The Eruli and Runes

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Dec 17 09:58:19 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "troels_brandt" <trbrandt at p...> wrote:
> Tore and Bertil,
>
> I am not sure I understand the background for combining runes - and
> the runestones in Blekinge - with the Heruls.
>
> To my knowledge Semitic and Phoenician alphabets formed the basis
of
> the Etruscian and an early Latin alphabet - the latter containing
> most signs similar to the runes. Personally I believe the arguments
> put forward by Erik Moltke that the runes were "invented" by people
> knowing this Latin alphabet but living in an independent Germanic
> culture in a certain distance of the Romans in the first two
> centuries AD. I think the intensity in the Southeastern Europe of
> early finds is too low to point as the only indication at Heruls
and
> Goths as inventors, and we know trade routes making such finds
> possible. The high intensity of finds is in Scandinavia (north of
the
> Ejder) and from the 6th century also in Southern Germany.

Hi Troels,

that is true. The University of Kiel's Runenprojekt lists all known
runic inscriptions and gives the following distribution:

Denmark: 125
Germany: 115 incl. 10 from Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland
Sweden: 70 incl. 16 from Gotland
Norway: 65

Whereas on supposedly Gothic territory:
Poland: 5
Rumania: 2
Russia: 1
Hungary: 7

> There are evident archaeological signs of Eastgermanics in the area
> already before 500AD,

Can you provide a reference for this please. Or point to
cemetaries/settlements that are considered to display the influx of
an East Germanic culture into Sweden. I am really very interested in
this - and don't get me wrong I am not crusading against your
theory.  I recently asked two Swedish archaeologists who both said
independently and in the strongest form, that there is not even the
slightest evidence for an East Germanic migration to Sweden, only
isolated objects, and even of those there are only very few. I just
like to find out what the real situation is.

cheers,

Need new boots for winter? Looking for a perfect gift for your shoe loving friends?
Zappos.com is the perfect fit for all your shoe needs!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ltdUpD/QrSDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM