[gothic-l] Re: The Eruli and Runes

troels_brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Mon Dec 17 21:19:23 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "troels_brandt" <trbrandt at p...> wrote:
> > Tore and Bertil,
> >
> > I am not sure I understand the background for combining runes -
and
> > the runestones in Blekinge - with the Heruls.
> >
> > To my knowledge Semitic and Phoenician alphabets formed the basis
> of
> > the Etruscian and an early Latin alphabet - the latter containing
> > most signs similar to the runes. Personally I believe the
arguments
> > put forward by Erik Moltke that the runes were "invented" by
people
> > knowing this Latin alphabet but living in an independent Germanic
> > culture in a certain distance of the Romans in the first two
> > centuries AD. I think the intensity in the Southeastern Europe of
> > early finds is too low to point as the only indication at Heruls
> and
> > Goths as inventors, and we know trade routes making such finds
> > possible. The high intensity of finds is in Scandinavia (north of
> the
> > Ejder) and from the 6th century also in Southern Germany.
>

> Hi Troels,
>
> that is true. The University of Kiel's Runenprojekt lists all known
> runic inscriptions and gives the following distribution:
>
> Denmark: 125
> Germany: 115 incl. 10 from Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland
> Sweden: 70 incl. 16 from Gotland
> Norway: 65
>
> Whereas on supposedly Gothic territory:
> Poland: 5
> Rumania: 2
> Russia: 1
> Hungary: 7

Dirk,

As the German finds are concentrated in Southern Germany and to my
knowledge began around 500-550, and some of the first finds were
Danish, Erik Moltke pointed at Denmark as a possible area of origin.
At least statistics indicate, that he could be right.

> > There are evident archaeological signs of Eastgermanics in the
area
> > already before 500AD,
>

> Can you provide a reference for this please. Or point to
> cemetaries/settlements that are considered to display the influx of
> an East Germanic culture into Sweden. I am really very interested
in
> this - and don't get me wrong I am not crusading against your
> theory.  I recently asked two Swedish archaeologists who both said
> independently and in the strongest form, that there is not even the
> slightest evidence for an East Germanic migration to Sweden, only
> isolated objects, and even of those there are only very few. I just
> like to find out what the real situation is.
>

> cheers,
> Dirk

I made an assumption necessary for my discussion with Tore and
Bertil, where I did not write "migration", as I don't see this as a
normal migration - and neither did you in your last quote. I do not
want to repeat this discussion. If you want to read the current stage
of my investigations you are welcome to read my website, but you have
already got some of these examples from Ingemar and Bertil: (Herulic
according to Charlotte Fabech: "Offerfundene i Soesdala, Fulltofta og
Vennebo" (1991)) and new finds in Vestergoetaland (Ingemar). As you
know I am trying to find archaologists investigating the problem
seriously, as nobody obviously knows what they are looking for, but
until now I have not found any. The first area I investigated myself
showed connections, which I have never seen analysed, and I intend to
continue, when I get more time. Therefore I wrote: Wait!

Troels

Unlimited PC-PC calling at Crystal Voice! - Only $1/Mo.
Download your free 30 day trial. Click here.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Gb1xVB/GxbDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM