[gothic-l] Re: Ingemar- compare this to Your Ring-name map

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Dec 17 17:16:23 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "malmqvist52" <malmqvist52 at y...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > Hi Troels,
> >
> > that is true. The University of Kiel's Runenprojekt lists all
known
> > runic inscriptions and gives the following distribution:
> >
> > Denmark: 125
> > Germany: 115 incl. 10 from Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland
> > Sweden: 70 incl. 16 from Gotland
> > Norway: 65
>

> > Whereas on supposedly Gothic territory:
> > Poland: 5
> > Rumania: 2
> > Russia: 1
> > Hungary: 7
> >
> The high number for Germany was actally a little surprising for me.
> But interesting!

The Runeproject of the Uni. Kiel also states that most of the
earliest runes come from the area between the river Weser in Lower
Saxony and the river Eider. These include the Weser rune bones of
about 180AD and the Meldorf runes from about 25AD.

cheers,
Dirk

> I note that this is very well parallelled in the Ring-name map in
> Your book, Ingemar.
> Anders

Unlimited PC-PC calling at Crystal Voice! - Only $1/Mo.
Download your free 30 day trial. Click here.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Gb1xVB/GxbDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM