[gothic-l] Ingemar- compare this to Your Ring-name map

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Mon Dec 17 22:22:01 UTC 2001

>--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
>> Hi Troels,
>>
>> that is true. The University of Kiel's Runenprojekt lists all known
>> runic inscriptions and gives the following distribution:
>>
>> Denmark: 125
>> Germany: 115 incl. 10 from Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland
>> Sweden: 70 incl. 16 from Gotland
>> Norway: 65
>

>> Whereas on supposedly Gothic territory:
>> Poland: 5
>> Rumania: 2
>> Russia: 1
>> Hungary: 7
>>
>The high number for Germany was actally a little surprising for me.
>But interesting!
>I note that this is very well parallelled in the Ring-name map in
>Your book, Ingemar.
>Anders

Anders,
What is the age of these runes?
According to my information the Westgermanic runes are from after 500.
There are very few from 3-5th centuries.
Has anybody got some dates?
Tore

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!