[gothic-l] Trailing the Eruli in the North

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Dec 19 17:54:30 UTC 2001

Adding to personal names and the rune inscription
of Stentoften it is also interesting to follow the
trace of treasures and gold from the Roman empire
to Denmark including the island of Bornholm, Scania,
Blekinge, Kalmar Province, the Islands of Oeland
and Gotland and Uppland Province (Ivarl Lindquist,
_Galdrar_ and Olof R. Janse, _Le travail de l'or
en Sude a l'epoque Mervingienne_).

It was during the reign of Anastasius that part of the Eruli
people migrated back to Scandinavia.  Flavius Anastasius
I governed Byzantium from 491 - 518 AD. The solidi
of the time of Anastasius I were the latest of these coins
reaching Scandinavia. After the arrival between 512 and
515 AD of the Eruli in Scandinavia, the no solidi arrived
(except for some later, see underneath).

The route of the solidi could be the route of the Eruli.

Island of Funen     2 solidi
Bornholm               8 solidi
Scania                   8 solidi
Blekinge                1 solidus
Kalmar Province   1 solidus

A number of solidi have been found also on the island
of Gotland but together with coins from the reign of
Justinianus I (527-565), so therefore the Gotlandic
coins may have arrived later.

Erulically/Gothically

Bertil

Unlimited PC-PC calling at Crystal Voice! - Only $1/Mo.
Download your free 30 day trial. Click here.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Gb1xVB/GxbDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM