[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Fri Dec 21 13:49:14 UTC 2001

>were
>is
>> >

>> >Are you sure about this? The coins of Odoaker are excessively rare
>> >and all known pieces (only about 3 or 4 are in exsistence, are well
>> >recorded). Grierson & Blackburn (Early Medieval Coinage, vol.1)
>know
>> >of no Odoaker half-siliqua from Sweden. In fact, only one single
>> >Ostrogothic coin has ever been found in Sweden (a very worn
>quarter-
>> >siliqua of Theoderic). Can you tell me more about this Odoaker-coin
>> >in Uppland please.
>> >

>> >You do not know from where
>> >when
>> >

>> >That might be true, but if Constantinopel-made coinage was flowing
>> >Moravia at that time - as wages or subsidies- I would have expected
>> >finds of such coins to emerge especially from these areas. In
>> >general, I said that I don't dispute the possibility of coin finds
>as
>> >support for a migration, but think that there are a number of
>> >problems with it as well.
>> >

>> >Dirk
>> >

>> The coin in Ottarsh–gen is with Basiliscus
>>
>> Tore
>

>Do you mean that this is the coin that Troels called 'a coin with
>Odoacer' in the burial mound of king Ottar? If it carries the name of
>Basiliscus it is not even close to being an Odoaker coin. Odoaker
>minted only half-siliquae with his portrait. Of these only about 3 or
>4 are in existence today. (All in big public collections, like
>British Museum etc.). Also, Odoaker's monogram is believed to be on
>some also very rare copper nummi.
>
>The only other coins attributable to Odoaker are solidi and tremisses
>minted at Rome and Ravenna in the name of Zeno after 476AD. These
>coins show neither a monograme nor a name of Odoaker, but are
>completely imperial in style.  However, the Italian mints have
>**never** minted in the name of Basiliscus. Thus, this coin of
>Ottarshoegen must be of eastern, most likely Constantinopolian
>origin.
>
>Here is a picture of a Basiliscus solidus:
>
>http://www.dcatalog.de/peus369/antike/00928h00.htm
>
>And a picture of a Zeno coin (also from Constantinopel, identifiable
>by the officina mark)
>
>http://www.dcatalog.de/peus369/antike/00927h00.htm
>
>And two Ostrogothic Solidi in the names of Anastasius and Justinianus
>from the mint of Rome:
>
>http://www.dcatalog.de/peus369/antike/01019h00.htm
>http://www.dcatalog.de/peus369/antike/01020h00.htm
>
>For comparison also a Frankish Solidus (from my collection)
>
>http://www.dcatalog.de/peus369/antike/01022h00.htm
>
>and a Visigothic solidus
>
>http://www.dcatalog.de/peus369/antike/01023h00.htm
>

>I hope these links work. Anyway, I know that Scandinavian solidi
>finds are concenrated on Gotland and Oeland. One famous hoard from
>Oeland contained 36 solidi dating to about 400AD.
>
>cheers
> [...]

The only coin found in the mound of Ottar in Uppland is the Basiliscus coin.
I didn't know that Odovaker minted this own coins.

In Swedish litterature we talk about it as minted when Odoaker came to
power in Italy.
Tore

http://us.click.yahoo.com/IgTaHA/ZQdDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM