[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Dec 21 14:38:31 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:

> >were
Odoaker
> >is

> >know
> >quarter-

> >as

> >> The coin in Ottarsh–gen is with Basiliscus
> >>
> >> Tore
> >

> >Do you mean that this is the coin that Troels called 'a coin with
> >Odoacer' in the burial mound of king Ottar? If it carries the name
of
> >Basiliscus it is not even close to being an Odoaker coin. Odoaker
> >minted only half-siliquae with his portrait. Of these only about 3
or
> >4 are in existence today. (All in big public collections, like
> >British Museum etc.). Also, Odoaker's monogram is believed to be on
> >some also very rare copper nummi.
> >
> >The only other coins attributable to Odoaker are solidi and
tremisses
> >minted at Rome and Ravenna in the name of Zeno after 476AD. These
> >coins show neither a monograme nor a name of Odoaker, but are
> >completely imperial in style.  However, the Italian mints have
> >**never** minted in the name of Basiliscus. Thus, this coin of
> >Ottarshoegen must be of eastern, most likely Constantinopolian
> >origin.
> >
> >Here is a picture of a Basiliscus solidus:
> >
> >http://www.dcatalog.de/peus369/antike/00928h00.htm
> >
> >And a picture of a Zeno coin (also from Constantinopel,
identifiable
> >by the officina mark)
> >
> >http://www.dcatalog.de/peus369/antike/00927h00.htm
> >
> >And two Ostrogothic Solidi in the names of Anastasius and
Justinianus
> >from the mint of Rome:
> >
> >http://www.dcatalog.de/peus369/antike/01019h00.htm
> >http://www.dcatalog.de/peus369/antike/01020h00.htm
> >
> >For comparison also a Frankish Solidus (from my collection)
> >
> >http://www.dcatalog.de/peus369/antike/01022h00.htm
> >
> >and a Visigothic solidus
> >
> >http://www.dcatalog.de/peus369/antike/01023h00.htm
> >

> >I hope these links work. Anyway, I know that Scandinavian solidi
> >finds are concenrated on Gotland and Oeland. One famous hoard from
> >Oeland contained 36 solidi dating to about 400AD.
> >
> >cheers
> >Dirk
>
> The only coin found in the mound of Ottar in Uppland is the
Basiliscus coin.
> I didn't know that Odovaker minted this own coins.
>
> In Swedish litterature we talk about it as minted when Odoaker came
> power in Italy.
> Tore

That makes sense, because the Basiliscus coin dates to 476/77AD, but
it has absolutely nothing to do with Odoaker himself. Coins of
Basiliscus are never found in central/western Europe. For one thing
they are of course rarer because of the shorter reign of Basiliscus.
For annother, Basiliscus' coins are only minted in the Eastern
Empire, probably only Constantinopel and they only circulated in the
Eastern Empire. Central and Western Europe was supplied with coinage
from the mints of Rome, Ravenna, Arles, Milan, Lyon, Toulouse,
Narbonne etc. Therefore the occurance of a Basiliscus solidus in this
grave mound in Uppland suggests that the local elite had some form of
contact (direct or indirect) with Constantinopel.

The coins of Odoaker are very interesting. They are the first, and
appart from the Theodahat-folles and Aistulf-folles, the only coin to
show a genuine portrait of a Germanic king. Thus, Odoaker is
presented with straight, neck-long hair and a moustache. Theodohat is
presented in the same fashion. The moustache really is the
distinguishing feature. Even on the dekanummi of Baduila is the king
presented with a moustache, although the overall picture is too
stylised to represent a portrait. In contrast, the Roman emperor
would be clean-shaven or with full-beard and also with neck-long
straight hair. The Langobardic king Aistulf is presented with longer
hair, full beard and the hair is parted in the middle of the
forehead. The Gothic kings wore the hair unparted.

cheers,

http://us.click.yahoo.com/IgTaHA/ZQdDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM