[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Fri Dec 21 16:48:47 UTC 2001

>> >There are a few serious problems with the finds of Anastasius'
>solidi
>> >in Scandinavia as proof of Herulic migrations, though. Firstly, we
>> >hear from Procopius that the Heruli were completely defeated. He
>even
>> >reports about hunger and poverty in the aftermaths of the defeat.
>So
>> >why would they carry gold denominations if they were so poor? And
>why
>> >would the victorious Langobards allow them to to so?
>> >
>> >Also, all gold denominations found in Scandinavia are from the
>> >Constantinopel mints - without a single execption. Since the Heruls
>> >are supposed to have come from Moravia, one would expect coins from
>> >western mints like Sirmium, but especially from Ravenna and Rome,
>as
>> >they used to be allied with the Ostrogoths.
>> >

>> >cheers,
>> >Dirk
>>
>> Dirk,
>> There are no Anastasius coins found in the supposed Herulic areas
>in Sweden.
>>
>> The Anastasius coins are mainly found in Gotland.
>> Tore
>

>Hi Tore,
>
>that is interesting, because Gotland was of course a trading-hub and
>the Anastasius solidi might have come there by trade. But what was
>the main trading good, to warrant such high denomination? One might
>think of amber, slaves and other high-value goods. Do you know how
>many solidi were found on Gotland? The one thing that argues in
>favour of solidi having travelled for other reasons than trade is
>there high value. Solidi were largely used for tax purposes, as
>subsidies/tributes, annonae payments, and of course long-distance
>trade in luxury goods.
>
>Dirk

Hi Dirk,
The Solidi in Gotland were most certainly rawmaterial. The Gotlanders were
very good gold-, silver-, and iron smiths.

In present day Sweden Gotland has the large majority of  coins found in the
soil.

We find a treasure almost every year. Two years the enormous Spillings
silver treasure from the 9th and 10th century were found. Two treasures 3
metres apart weighting over 60 kilos.

The Gotlandic percentage of coins found in present day Sweden
Roman denar 86.7%
Sassanids 52.5%
Arabian coins (kufiska) 73.3%
Byzantine coins 85.2%
Solidis 270+47 se my other posting to Bertil.

Gotland was surely a big place for transit trade. The Gotlanders travelled
far and bought cheap and sold expensive.

We can follow this trade for 2000 years with trading posts around the
Baltic coming and going.

The Solidis were available in large quantities on the continent where the
Gotlanders were frequent visitors for trading purposes.

We can follow the Gothic culture coming back to Gotland from the 1st
century up to Theoderiks reign.
This includes the Gothic knowledge as good artesans.

Tore

Access Your PC from Anywhere - Full setup in 2 minutes - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/1GUySC/E6eDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM