[gothic-l] Trailing the Eruli in the North

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Fri Dec 21 18:19:23 UTC 2001

Tore,

Thank you. We are probably discussing two
differen subjects. You, all solidi, me only those
from the reign of Anastasius. The Gotland
Anastasius solidi cannot,  in my opinion,
be connected with the Eruli,
as they were found with solidi of a much
later date.

The later solidi are not relevant to the migration
to Scandinavia of part of the Eruli people.

Erulically/Gothically

Bertil

Yes , correction, there are a few Anastasius solidis elsewhere.
According to Professor Mårten Stenberger the total of Solidis found in
present day Sweden is about 660.

The majority of them are found in Öland and Gotland. (There are also 150
found in Bornholm).
It is true that a few odd ones are found in Skåne, Västergötland,
Södermanland, Uppland, Gästrikland, Hälsningland and Medelpad.

However the large majority are found on the islands.
In Öland, supposed Herulic area, are 298 solidis found. The majority is
from Zeno dead 491 with one or two exceptions for Anastasius, Justinus I
and Justinianus. One hord contains 80 coins.

Whilst in Gotland there are 270 plus 47 found in Helgö Lake Mälar mainly
from Anastasius, Justinus I and Justinianus. These 47 are rawmaterial and
according to the arcaeologists coming from Gotland.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/IgTaHA/ZQdDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM