[gothic-l] Trailing the Eruli in the North

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Fri Dec 21 16:27:03 UTC 2001

Bertil,
Yes , correction, there are a few Anastasius solidis elsewhere.
According to Professor Mårten Stenberger the total of Solidis found in
present day Sweden is about 660.

The majority of them are found in Öland and Gotland. (There are also 150
found in Bornholm).
It is true that a few odd ones are found in Skåne, Västergötland,
Södermanland, Uppland, Gästrikland, Hälsningland and Medelpad.

However the large majority are found on the islands.
In Öland, supposed Herulic area, are 298 solidis found. The majority is
from Zeno dead 491 with one or two exceptions for Anastasius, Justinus I
and Justinianus. One hord contains 80 coins.

Whilst in Gotland there are 270 plus 47 found in Helgö Lake Mälar mainly
from Anastasius, Justinus I and Justinianus. These 47 are rawmaterial and
according to the arcaeologists coming from Gotland.
Tore

>Tore,
>
>Sorry about your disinformation underneath.
>
>The eight Anastasius Solidi were found near
>Ystad in southeastern Scania, being one of the areas
>the Eruli most likely passed on the way to
>Eruliland. It could even be argued that eastern
>Scania was part of Eruliland. The Blekinge
>solidud was found at Ramdala east of
>Karlskrona and I am not sure of the exact
>find of the Kalmar Province solidus.
>
>Erulically/Gothically
>
>Bertil
>
>> There are no Anastasius coins found in the supposed Herulic areas in Sweden.
>>
>> The Anastasius coins are mainly found in Gotland.
>

>You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
>to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

Access Your PC from Anywhere - Full setup in 2 minutes - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/1GUySC/E6eDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM