[gothic-l] Re: Lukman

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Thu Feb 1 19:46:59 UTC 2001

Dear F.X., thank you very much for your interest in Lukman.
With regard to copy right, I suppose it is 50 years after an author's
death that is internationally valid limit, which would certainly make
everything Lukman wrote copyright for the lifetime of most
people on this list. However, there is also a rule that
limited parts of "åndsverk" may be quoted for scientific purposes.
Hence, I cannot see any objection towards quoting a sentence or two,
here and there. But if you would be able to obtain an official
permit, that would be the best thing. And should any objection
arise, I think the polite thing to do would be to refrain from
quoting - though I think that would indeed be a great loss for
those who are now taking an interest in the results of his work,
as well as his thinking.

>Dear colleagues and others,
>An interesting posting by Prof. Lars Hemmingsen on the forum ANSAXNET
>concerning Professor Lukman's dissertation can be found at:
>http://www.gendex.com/users/jast/D0014/G0000045.html
>
>(I hope I did the link correctly)
>
>Excerpt from the posting:
>(Might step on a few toes, it is not meant as such)
>"Eric Cristiansen . . . gives good evidence that many of the genealogies
>
>of medieval Denmark are inaccurate or fraudulent, and that finding the
>true lineage of the nobility is a difficult and perhaps a fruitless task
>. . ."
>No one ever contradicted Lukman, and only three or four people had the
>knowledge and courage to make comments, notably Inge Skovgaard -
>Petersen and Claus Krag in Norway. Lukman's thesis is in German, as you
>probably noticed, but long out of print. . . .

Professor Claus Krag, as you probably know, wrote a dissertation on
Ynglingatal, where he shows that it is not an early poem (and
genealogy) as was previously thought. Krag's book is in Norwegian,
but contains an extensive English summary.

>The legendary Danish Skjoldung
>(=Scylding) kings -- Halfdan, Helgi, Roar, Rolf, etc. -- never
>set foot anywhere near Denmark. They are reflections of famous
>Migration Age rulers on the lower Danube.

Yes, but if Rolf Krake is seen as reflection of the Herul king
Rodulf, and if we are to believe Jordanes, who wrote not long
afterwards, then Rodulf actually was a king of parts of Norway,
who went down to Theodoric in Italy.

But then there are also those who have found evidence that there
was another "Thodoric", or better "Didrik", who was not the Theodoric
of Ravenna, but of *Soest* in Northern Germany. Aparrently all the
myths and legends got mixed together, with motifs borrowed in every
direction.

Best Regards
Keth

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups