[gothic-l] Re: Ostrogoths in Italy, Britain or China (or on the moon?)

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Feb 2 16:26:00 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., andreas.schwarcz at u... wrote:

> Hello Dirk,
> the whole problem we have begins with this statement. Like all our
> sources, Procopius must be read with care and precaution, but I
> would not dare to call him "notoriously unreliable" and I have been
> working on him for two decades. He was in comparison to other
> sources we have from the sixth century a very well educated and
> well-informed Byzantine official and for a great part of his
narration
> in "Anekdota", "Hyper ton polemon" and "Peri ktismaton" an eye-
> witness, although sometimes strongly biased. We cannot expect
> him to have our geographical and ethnographical knowledge and we
> must sift his evidence, as always, with care.

> > I took this argument from Goffart who argues that Skandza was
> > important for Jordanes in order to exclude Britain, which, as
Goffart
> > writes, was believed by many at this time to be the origin of the
> > Goths.
>
> Walter Goffart indeed writes that in the "Narrators of Barbarian
> History, p.89. But poor Walter completely misunderstood
> Jordanes, Getica, 38. This is part of a long geographical and
> ethnographical digression about Scythia. For your understanding I
> cite the passage in context, beginning in Getica 37: Hunuguri
> autem hinc sunt noti, quia ab ipsis pellium murinarium venit
> commercium: quoa tantorum virorum formidavit audacia. quorum
> mansione prima in Scythia solo iuxtam paludem Meotidem,
> secundo in Mysiam Thraciamque et Daciam, tertio supra mare
> Ponticum rursus in Scythia legimus habitase: nec eorum fabulas
> alicubi repperimus scriptas, qui eos dicunt in Brittania vel in
> unaqualibet insularum in servitute redactos et in unius caballi
> praetio a quodam ereptos. aut certe si quis eos aliter dixerit in
> nostro urbe, quam quod nos diximus, fuisse exortos, nobis aliquid
> obstrepebit: nos enim potius lectioni credimus quam fabulis
> anilibus consentimus.
> If you read that, you will easily find that the people concerned are
> not the Goths, but the Onogurs, that it is not Britain, but "Britain
or
> any other island, which we do not know", and that it is not "an
> opinion hold by many", but "fabulas alicubi scriptas" "fairy tales
> written somewhere". Because this is not the only error in Walter´s
> treatment of barbarian narrators, but a typical one, I am sceptical
of
> the whole book, like most people who work with these sources
> professionally.
> >

> > And where did you find the funny
> > > idea that Procopius proposed to return all barbarians to their
> > > homelands?
> >

> > This view is presented by Avaril Cameron and to some extent by
> > Goffart. A short formulation of this argument can be found on the
> > European Archaeology List were a historian (Florin Curta) presents
the
> > same point much nicer than I could.
> >
> My dear friend Florin is an primarily an archeologist, and a very
> good one. As I take part in the discussions on the European
> Archeology list, I know his arguments, but in his critique of
> Procopius he goes too far. This aim of exporting barbarians to the
> end of the world is not at all presented by Averil Cameron, it is
> given by Walter Goffart, Narrators, p.96, in his comparison between
> Jordanes and Procopius and he is in this respect as wrong as in
> the one I treated above. If you will read Averil Cameron´s book, you
> will find that she is very critical of Goffart´s view of Procopius.
I cite
> Cameron, Procopius, p.205: "Goffart needs, for his own argument,
> to discredit the evidence of Procopius, but this is not the way to
do
> it. For just as Procopius' excursus and 'origins' sections are not
at
> all good, so certainly they are not all bad. the Gothic Wars, as
> much as any other part of Procopius' work, shows that a close
> analysis of the structure of individual sections, without prejudice
> overall, is the only way to arrive at any fair estimation of the
> credibility of his evidence."
> >

> > Completely true, possibly both Goffart and Cameron got it wrong -
who
> > knows. However, their textual analysis does sound convincing and
most
> > of their interpretations are more plausible that those presented
by
> > people who want to read Procopius and the like as historical text
> > books.
> >
> I suggest you read Averil Cameron by herself and not by the
> footnotes in Goffart´s book or - worse - by Florin´s interpretation.
> Then you will find that her view on Procopius is not at all
Goffart´s
> and that it is identical with mine. I cite Cameron, Procopius,
p.222:
> "Above all, Procopius' views were his own. His greatest strength is
> in his personal observation and the collection of contemporary
> material for a subject into which he was deeply involved, not in the
> historical or ethnographical excursuses, where his approach is
> often anecdotical and impressionistic. Procopius was
> extraordinarily energetic and determined in the pursuit of
interesting
> and useful information, but he was not a scholar. He was a
> practical man, curious for detail and keen to work it over with his
> own highly idiosyncratic imagination."
> And p.241: "Nevertheless the energy and passion of the Wars and
> the Secret History would be remarkable at any date. They have
> established Procopius as an independent, if prejudiced, observer,
> but above all as a keen, efficient and voluminous reporter. On these
> qualities, especially, his reputation rests."
>
> Regards
>          Andreas Schwarcz

Hello Andreas,

thanks for the detailed response! Your points are well taken. As
mathematician and economist I would be out of my depth if I were to
embark on a detailed discussion on this topic with a historian. I
guess my main point is that many, in fact too many (lay-men) choose to
 use the writing of these authors in a word-by-word text book fashion,
picking out bits and pieces to 'construct' tribal histories, pin-point
certain geographical areas or postulate geneological relationships,
usually neglecting 'unwanted information' and preaching the parts that
 they like as 'gosple'.  I liked Goffart and Cameron (despite of their
shortcomings which you pointed out) because they offered what I (as a
layman) regarded as a fresh and plausible interpretation.

best regards
Dirk

Dr. Dirk Faltin

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups