[gothic-l] Re: Ostrogoths in Italy, Britain or China (or on the moon?)

trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Tue Feb 6 07:28:18 UTC 2001

Hej Tore

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> The common opinion is that the Heruls probably lived somewhere in
southern
> Denmark - Northern Germany

Which source does this common opinion use? Do you talk about Western
Heruls?

> (I can't find that Procopius claims that they
> originated from Thule)

He did not - and he did not claim Southern Denmark or Northern
Germany. Maybe Jordanes claimed Scania or Sealand.

> and when the Goths moved from the Vistula area to
> the Black Sea area the Heruls followed in their steps. After that
various
> Roman sources tell about the Heruls together with or dominated by
the Goths.
> The Heruls as well as part of the Goths (Ostrogoths) were subdued
by the
> Huns. When Attila died on his wedding night and the Hun empire
dissolved
> the Heruls formed their own kingdom in present day Hungary. When
they we
> beaten by the Lombards about 505 Prokopius says that part of the
tribe
> moved to where they had heard there were good lands, Ultima Thule,
the
> farthest away lands known from the Roman Empire. (Iceland and
Greenland
> were not inhabited at that time.)

I think we agree in the excerpt from your book below, if the headline
is the title of your book and not a result proved by the following
description.

Troels

> Origin of Svear:
> "The Heruls (jarlarna) was a Scandinavian people that together with
Gutans
> or the Goths, as the Romans called them, ravaged the Black Sea,
Asia Minor
> and the Mediterranean from the 4th century. After having been
subdued first
> by the Goths and later by the Huns, those emigrated Heruls, middle
of the
> 5th, century founded a state in upper Hungary. There are several
stories
> how the Heruls ravaged the coasts of the Black Sea and the
Mediterranean,
> alone and together with the Goths, why they must be considered as
good
> seamen. They were sought after soldiers in the Roman Imperial
Guards.
> According to Roman sources they were a more primitive people than
other
> Germanic peoples. The troops of Odovakar that assumed power in the
Western
> Empire in 476 contained, according to sources, to a large extent
Heruls.
> That state was, however, soon overrun by the Ostrogoths.
> Prokopios says (See note 2) that some years later the Herul state
in upper
> Hungary was smashed. He thinks of the Heruls, that had emigrated to
the
> south of Russia and to start with had been under the Ostrogoths and
the
> Huns but after the fall of the Hun Empire had erected an
independent state
> on the north side of the Danube on the border of present time
Mähren and
> Hungary. About the year 505, after quarrelling with the Lombards,
they were
> forced to leave this area. Some of the Heruls settled in Illyria
under the
> protection of the Eastroman Emperor, but others could not, says
Prokopios,
> decide to cross the Danube but settled in the furthest parts of the
> inhabited world. They returned to Thule (the Scandinavian penin-
sula) and
> settled next to the Gauts at the same time as a powerful Svea state
with
> strong kings emerged in the Lake Mälar Area.
> Guided by numerous members of its royalty they passed all the
native lands
> of the Slavic peoples (probably from lower Danube to upper Vistula
and
> further west), marched from here through a large part of vacant
land and
> came to a people called the Varner. From there they came to the sea,
> crossed the sea and went to the island Thule where they settled.
> Thule is a very large island, Prokopios continues, over ten times
as large
> as Britannia. The largest part is desolate, but in the inhabited
parts
> there are thirteen populous tribes, who each has a king. One
populous tribe
> was the Gauts and it was next to them that the Herulic newcomers
settled.
> Much later - guesses are both at the end of the 520s and the middle
of the
> 540s - it happened that the king of those Heruls remaining in the
south was
> killed and that these Heruls in order to get a new king of the old
line
> sent messengers to the part of the tribe that lived in Thule. Here
they
> found many of royal blood and chose the one they liked most. During
the
> journey south, however, he fell ill and died in the lands of the
Danes. In
> order not to return empty handed the messengers were forced once
more to go
> to Thule. By this action they became so much delayed that their
principals
> gave up hope and were persuaded by Emperor Justinianus to take as
their
> king a young Herul educated in Constantinople. When finally the
messengers
> from Thule returned with their proposed king, the imperial
protégé
was
> deserted in favour of the newcomer."
>
> Note 2 (page 14)
> Prokopios, who was born at the end of the 5th century, was a lawyer
in
> Constantinople and from the year 527 private secretary to the
military
> commander Belisarius on his campaigns against inter alia the
Ostrogoths in
> Italy. He says that there are 13 populous tribes in Thule (the
Scandinavian
> peninsula), each with its own king. He says: "A populous tribe
among them
> was the gautoi, next to where the arriving Heruls settled".
Prokopios says
> that the Heruls who lived in northern Hungary under Cæsar
Anastasius'
> (491-518) rule attacked the Lombards. However, they were beaten and
their
> king was killed. The Heruls were therefore (about 505) forced to
leave
> their homesteads. Some of them crossed the Danube into Roman
territory,
> where Anastasius allowed them to settle. The remaining part of the
Heruls
> moved northwards. Through the countries of the Varner and Danes they
> reached the ocean, over which they sailed to Thule.
> In the same chapter, Prokopios  gives a short mention of the Heruls
that
> had immigrated to the Scandinavian peninsula. This is, by the way,
the
> last historical mentioning about Scandinavia by a Greek-Roman
writer. "Thus
> the Heruls, that lived on Roman soil and had slained their king,
sent some
> of their most distinguished men to the island Thule in order to
find and if
> possible bring back a man of royal blood. When they came to the
island they
> found many of royal blood." According to professor Wessén: "The
flourishing
> and numerically strong royal family in Thule, that is mentioned
above, is
> apparently the same under whose guidance part of the Eastherulian
tribe,
> thirty years earlier, had undertaken its march to Scandinavia."
>

> >Dirk!
> >
> >--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> >>
> >> (snip)
> >>
> >> Similarly, Procopius'- most likely invented - story of a Herulic
> >> migration to Thule belongs to the same category, as A. Cameron
> >> (Procopius and the Sixth Century) shows. Britain, Thule and
Scandza
> >> were the islands in the Northern Ocean were all northern
barbarians
> >> came from according to the Roman mental map and where all
> >barbarians
> >> should return to according to Procopius.
> >
> >Where did Procopius claim the Heruls originally came from
> >Thule/Scandinavia? As far as I know he only wrote their ancestral
> >homes were beyond the Ister (Danube). If a Scandinavian origin was
> >his point, why didn't he write it? Actually the Illyrian Heruls who
> >didn't serve Justinian escaped to the Gepides in Dacia beyond the
> >Ister just before Procopius finished his "Gothic Wars". Therefore
the
> >claimed purpose was fulfilled without a lie about Thule.
> >
> >If the migration to Thule was a lie, why did he tell about a
Herulian
> >king Datius returning from Thule to Illyria a few years before he
> >wrote his book? Wasn't it a little risky? As far as I can see he
> >would in this case loose all his credibility if someone knew the
> >Herulian mercenaries - which most of the army did.
> >
> >Some Scandinavian historians even regard a Herulian origin in
> >Scandinavia as a misreading of Jordanes. I can't say if this
argument
> >has any value.
> >
> >Troels
> >

> >You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a
blank email
> >to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.
> >Homepage: http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gothicl/index.html

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups